The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi All,

Need some help.

insurance company i'm claiming against (Zurich) is trying to screw me over.

Their valuation on my mini - £2300
Cost of repairs - 2226.72
My opinion - should be fixed yes?

Ok. well i've recieved my cheque in the post for the write off for the value of £1840 as they feel i can get £660 for scrap. I haven't accepted it. My point is to them is that the cost of repairs is less than the value so it should be fixed yes?
Well apparently no. they say its not economical to fix so they are writting it off.

Should my car still be fixed? anone got any rules and regulations for insurance companies (especially for Zurich). I've looked on the net with no luck unless i'm looking in the wrong places.

Many thanks

Roo

#2 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

Gutted for you, read about the accident, etc.
I'm not an insurance expert, but I would guess they would immediately write it off as the cost of repair is so close to the valuation. Reasoning that it may be worth less than the valuation after all the work has been done, simply because it has been repaired? :thumbsup:
You need insurance against your insurance these days - good luck though, and hope somebody can assist.

#3 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

Hi Roo,

Sorry to hear about all this.

I think the term "not economical to fix" will be in the contract therefore I doubt you will be able to fight that, from their point of view its too expensive to repair.

As for £660 for scrap, i think thats a little high. So might be better to fight them on that and try and get a bigger cheque??

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

Try getting some quotes from some mini friendly garages, over £2k of repairs seems like alot!!

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

First off, I'd love to know where you can get £660 for a scrap mini!

I'd also love to know how they define a "contract". Considering this is a third party claim and Roo doesn't have a contract with them..... It all sounds like the usual insurance company rubbish where they make up the rules as they go along.

However, you won't get them to change their minds. They will have a cut-off point, and obviously you've passed it. Did you have no luck upping the value of your car then? Or getting the repairs down? (£2k seems a lot, even if you do have a fancy paint job)

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

If this is a third party claim then they don't have a leg to stand on really, keep fighting.

And also, if your car is being written off by them then they are agreeing to buy it from you. Getting it scrapped is then their problem so get the full valuation from them and accept nothing else if you can't get them to change their minds.

#7 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

i thought 660 was a little high too.

They will receive the adverts and reciept for engine work tomorrow. looks like i will have to settle for the write off and pay the extra for the repairs. Hope the value will be increased. They haven't given me any money for my losses either. i had to pay £250 release charge from the compound. haven't heard anything from them about paying it.

I thought they had to pay the full amount for the write off too and i had to buy the car back off them if i wanted to repair it but apparently its in Zurichs contract in that they don't deal with that.

I'm soo confused. I just want my mini back on the road. :'(

Roo

#8 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

The normal cut off point for "uneconomical repair" is if the repairs cost more than 60% of the cars value.
Salvage value is around 33% of vehicle value (you can argue less if it is a burn out ETC)
Please remember that after repair (no matter how good) the mini will only be worth 25% to 50% of its normal value .
You should be able to get all your "uninsures losses" back from the solisiter at your own insurance company (do you have legal protection ? )

#9 PurpleDaisy

PurpleDaisy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:13 AM

If you do have legal protection like Woody mentioned then make a point of telling them that! My friend was recently hit in his car & they were trying to write it off & give next to nothing for it, he was fighting it for quite a while, & then they foond oot he had legal protection & suddenly they gave him everything! I doon't really understand it so I could be talking rubbish but that's what happened to him!

And I'm so sowwy, we all want your Mini back on the road! *big hugs*

#10 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:48 AM

This is so annoying. These insurance compnies need shooting!

First thing, you don't have a contract with Zurich. So whatever their policy on settlements is, is not your problem.

Second. They value the car at £2300. I personally don't think anyone in their right mind would pay £660 as a scrap value for it. especially when its you (nothing personal... just that when these yards deal with private people, they won't pay out as much as they would an insurance ompany as they know they can haggle and give you grief!).

Third, yes, they owe you the £250 release fee aswell. None of this is your fault, therefore they should pay the full amount.

Give the CAB or trading standards a call, or as has been suggested if you have legal cover on your policy, give them a call and get some advice. We're all a little biased on here as we don't want you to be ripped off, but they will have a greater experience of what is allowed, what is realistic, and what you will get in the end.

Personally, I think their attitude of not paying for the repairs stinks. I also think that if they intend to write off the car, then the vehicle becomes their problem, and not yours. you should be entitled to at least the full value of the car plus the compound release fee, and the garage you took it to should also be entitled to a storage charge. That last bit is up to them to sort out. I would assume that if it were up to you to get the car scrapped, then the garage may even charge you a fee, which would again come out of your own pocket.

One last thing, what was said on the stereo? If nothing has been said, and has not been documented, go and get it, along with maybe other bolt on bits. If they are going to screw you over, then you may as well try to minimise your losses. be careful doing this though, as it may be classed as theft if the parts have been documented as adding value to the car.

Fight them hard. they don't deserve to get away with trying to cheat you out of your car.

#11 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

... A "bump" just so you know I replied, what with the forum probs and all...

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

Also mention to them that you plan to discuss the issues with the vehicle insurance ombudsman/regulator, that normally makes them sit up, listen and get somewhere nearer your way of thinking.

#13 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

Definitely invoke your legal protection if you've got it, and/or citizens' advice, and/or trading standards, and when you're sure of your facts and rights, tell the insurers what you want and keep telling them firmly, by regular phone calls if necessary, and use the same script each time. If they try to divert you, just say "I understand what you're saying" (like you care a toss, but say it anyway) "but my legal advisers' view is that ...." and say what you want, reading it off a bit of paper if you like. Bear in mind that the company records some phone calls and you want your recorded behaviour to be consistent and reasonable.

The insurance company may try delaying tactics such as "losing" documents and authorisations for payment between its many departments, transferring your calls to the wrong department, and putting the phone down and then hanging up. This is normal. Keep trying.

If eventually you lose your temper and you're not very good at delivering withering invective off the cuff, prepare it beforehand and keep it beside you as your special broadside. If you have been reasonable up to that point, an unexpected blast can be extra effective.

Well, it worked for me, anyway, and my accident was my fault.

Good luck, and if you want some encouragement I can mail you a famous letter of complaint to ntl which says it all very rudely :- :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users