#1 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

got a set of 10" mambas painted in black at crystal palace on sat night. - just wondering what width they are??
i know there was link on here about how to measre them and the offset - can any direct me to it as i cant find it??

And what tyres (make and size) do people recomend - just for everyday drving - something that will last a while.

Is there a guide anywhere that explains what tyre size means - E.G 165/70/10???

Thanks

#2 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

Theres a page in the FAQ section that explains all about measuring wheel offsets etc.

clicky

This will tell you all measuring the wheels.

The tyre measurements mean as follows:

165 - tread width in mm
70 - profile (i.e depth of tyre from rim to tread) as a percentage of tread width (i.e 70% of 165mm)
10 - rim diametre of the wheel in inches

#3 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

you can mesure them wth a tape mesure, or stamped somewhere on the wheel normaly by the studds should be the size so my sportspack are 13xJ6 so there a 13inch rim by 6inch wide wheel

#4 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

measured - they are 10X5.5 - but i dont know what the offset is? can anyone mesure the offset of a "J" offsetted wheel, and tell me what the measurement is please? (preferbly in mm)

What size tyres would people recomend?

#5 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

I believe there is only one size 10 inch road tyre that are ever fitted to mini 10 inchers.

165/70 x 10

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

Tyre size, use 165/70/10.

As for measuring the offset, have a look at the FAQ Steamo linked to above. However, it is slightly wrong, a negative offset is where more of the wheel is into the wing, thus requiring thinner arches, positive offset means more of the wheels is outside the wing, requiring wider arches.

#7 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

learn summit new everyday - didnt know u could only get 165/70/10 tyres for 10"
erm measured the offset - 73mm on each side - so they are not +ve or -ve - does that mean they are "J"?

:thumbsup: - thanks for your help

#8 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

i dont think the J has anything to do with the offset.

not sure what it means but it is norally in this context: 5J x 10 which to me says it is something to do with the width of the wheel

#9 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

Whats the difference between yoko A032 and A008? is one more hard wearing than the other?

What do you think about falkens?

#10 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:48 AM

Falkens=POO

A008 the original bad boy tis very good mini tyre.

A032R is super sticky but apparently doesnt last too long

#11 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:52 AM

measured - they are 10X5.5 - but i dont know what the offset is? can anyone mesure the offset of a "J" offsetted wheel, and tell me what the measurement is please? (preferbly in mm)

IIRC the J has something to do with the tyre/wheel rim sealing interface not the ofset- I don't know anything about it really (other than the fact that you don't really need to worry about it)

I believe there is only one size 10 inch road tyre that are ever fitted to mini 10 inchers.

165/70 x 10

I'm sure that theres a 145 tyre in 10" as well but its the 165s you want with the wider rims.

Not really sure about what tyres to recommend - I've got A008s but not tried them yet, I know a girl with Falkens and she says they are fine (not the worlds most enthusiastic driver though). There have been a souple of threads before with peoples experiences of 10" tyres (search for camac and you'll find some).

You'll might find that the wheels are 5" wide as it is measured from the inside of the rim (I don't think they did 5.5" Mambas - only 5 and 6").

Great choice of wheel by the way - they're my fave just can't afford the brakes to go with them.

#12 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

yer - when i measured them from the inside of the rim - they were about 5 1/4 " so i thought they were 5.5" - hmm -
does mamba have a website?

piccy

#13 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:11 AM

I'm assuming that the 5.5 is cast into the wheel? In which case, here's how to measure the offset:

measure the width of the wheel rim from outside to outside.
now put a straight edge over the inside rim of the wheel, and measure from the mounting face to the straight edge. (in mm)

now a bit of maths....

take the overall width of the wheel (lets assume its 6" or 152.4mm) and subtract the actual defined width (5.5" or 139.7). that is 12.7mm. halve it (6.35mm)

now take that result from your inside measurement (lets assume its 60mm), so thats 53.65mm.

Now, take the original wheel defined width, and halve it (69.85) and take off the inside measurement (53.65). that leaves you with 16.2mm.

That is the ""positive" offset on the wheel. It's positive as it's a positive number! a negative is....... :thumbsup:

Not sure what good it does you. only really to work out what arches to use, but the easy way to do that is to bolt one on the car and measure from the wing to the outside of the wheel!

#14 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:23 PM

i have 10x6 mambas

im gonna cover them in "Camacs" cheap and cheerful, great tyres

#15 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

yeah - does measure 5" rim diameter - the only real reason i want to know the offset - was to see if they would fit under standard arches - as i dont have my mini to hand at the moment - i was unable to know

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users