#16 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hmmm, Camacs..... :thumbsup:

Yoko A032Rs are undoubtedly the grippiest tyre in any condition, but this is because they are a soft compound and hence will only last a few thousand miles, depending on driving styles.

A008s are very good tyres as well, I have them at the front at the mo, superb in the dry, but not as good as the 032Rs in the wet because they are a slightly harder compound (but will last longer).

#17 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

where abouts do u buy A008s from?
assuming the local kwickfit wont do them

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

No, don't get them from quick fits, given the tiny amount of 10" tyres any major tyre retailer will sell they won't be the cheapest. Try MiniSpares or MiniSport (MiniSport had a good few deals on tyres a while back).

Am I right in thinking A008s are not being made anymore, so any you buy are meerly from suppliers stock?

#19 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

Jammy, I know they stopped making the 175 50 13 A008s for sure - don't know if thats what your thinking of.

On the other hand they could have stopped making them altogether.

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

Ahhh, it might of been that, Dan mentioned something about it last time this came up...

#21 mattpink

mattpink

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Minis

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

Having used 'em all over the years, here's my personal opinion on the ones availble today:

Falken - good all rounder, surprisingly good in the dry, and if you dont drive like a tit in the wet, are more than up to the job. Wear rate similar to A008's

Yoko A008 - another good all rounder, but dont get over confident - has plenty of grip, then just lets go suddenly. OK in the wet round corners taken sensibly. Fronts on mine wear out at about 10k miles.

Yoko A032R - very good in the dry, OK in the wet, but wear quickly. 5k miles on the fronts and thats with taking it easy most of the time.

Camac - useful allrounder, cheap and cheerful. Not up to the Yoko's standard in the dry, but I found equally as grippy in the wet. Seemed to wear faster than the A008's though.

I'm still running A008's and not had a problem with supply - the pair I bought last month were manufactured in December 2005, so I suspect they are still in production.

Supplier wise, I normally get them from the mini shows or from www.mytyres.co.uk - I'm lucky enough to have free fitting facilities, but most independant fast fit places will fit 'em cheaply.

#22 mambaman

mambaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

thats a good guide from mr pink, i have to admit after using the camacs in the wet i took them straight off. Cornering wasnt a problem, but they just lock up so quickly when breaking, a bit like the old pirelli c45's - thank feck they stopped making them!

i didnt realise u could still get camacs?

#23 mattpink

mattpink

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Minis

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:10 AM

Just to add you can still get the Dunlop Aquajet too. in its day a good tyre - not up to the Yoko's standard though.

http://www.vintagety...lop&m=64&dc=127

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users