Photo
- - - - -

what to do with my new purchase?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: What will be worth more? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

restored standard 1100 special or custom job

1. standard 1100 (23 votes [88.46%])

Percentage of vote: 88.46%

2. customised (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

Just bought an 1100 special mini

It needs a few jobs, inclusing a door skin and wing, and the engines knocking a bit, but it does have all the original bits, large bumpers in superb condition, goofy side repeaters, tartan interior in need of a clean, centre console, vinyl roof and 5x 10" alloys. So its in original form at the moment, I am buying it to restore and sell.

The question is .... what will be worth more? and how easy would either car be to sell? a restored standard 1100 or a customised 1100, with larger arches, cooper grille, lower ride height, vinyl roof removed, larger bore exhaust and possibly a diffeerent shade of paint including cotrasting roof colour? I will keep the alloys as they are quite nice and 10"... but would get rid of those funky looking side repeaters, lose the larger bumpers?? (maybe)

#2 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

does anyone know what one restored is worth?

#3 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Standard gets my vote FWIW.
It might be worth more as a custom job, but only if somebody wants it the way you have done it.
IMO the special was one of few genuine limited editions - i.e it actually had special bits and wasn't just a city with naff graphics - so it would be worth keeping original.
All a mater of personal taste so there's no right or wrong, but I saw so many Minis yesterday that had been modded to a very high standard of finish - but still looked absolutey horrid to my eyes. :thumbsup:

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

I think this is a good example of custom over standard. I believe that car would be worth so much more as standard and would of sold a whole lot quicker.

#5 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

I think this is a good example of custom over standard. I believe that car would be worth so much more as standard and would of sold a whole lot quicker.

cheers Jammy, know what you mean, it is nice but would've been better standard.

Just wondering how rare 1100's are? and what they go for in mint condition, as to be honest I think the little differences on this particular special edition are not to my taste, maybe 1100's are subject to taste? or are they a classic?

First time I have seen one so I'm relying on peoples opinions on here for guidence

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

does anyone know what one restored is worth?

They don't come up that often and all depends upon how good a resto has been done.

Just wondering how rare 1100's are?

All I can find is about 5,000 of them were made in either rose or silver, but what you also have to remember is that they are now getting on a bit.

If it was me I would keep it standard as
A. I think it would be worth more, Especially as it's the first birthday edition (20th)
And
B. some minis should be left as standard and unchanged from factory.

The 1979 Mini 1100 Special
Produced in 1979, the Mini 1100 Special celebrated 20 years of the Mini. Considered to be a real special edition, rather than merely a badging exercise, the 1100 Special featured a number of unique features:

Silver or Rose paintwork

1098cc A series engine

Exacton 10" Alloy wheels with Dunlop 165x70x10 Low profile tyres

Black plastic wheelarch extensions and sill trims

Clubman rear wide chrome bumpers fitted front AND rear

Vinyl roof (Black with Silver body, beige with Rose body)Optional full length fabric sunroof
Plastic roof gutter trim edging (Black with Silver body, tan with Rose body)

Wide body graphic graded stripes down each lower side - contrasting and different for each colour

Indicator repeater lights on front wings

Grey windscreen washer jets
Black wiper arms and blade heads, 11" blades

Black radiator grille with 'Special' badge'Mini 1100' boot badge (only used on the 1100 Special)

Special sports steering wheel with unique badge

Unique full length centre console housing:
- Push button radio
- Borg analogue clock
- Cigar lighter
- Radiomobile speakers
- Heater vent

Unique trimmed seats with tartan inset (Blue with Silver body, Beige with Rose body)Door cards, side cards and parcel shelf at rear matchedBlack carpets with Silver body, Mink Brown carpets with Rose body1275 GT style instruments including rev counter

If you chose to restore it you can still get some of the trim peaces, body stickers and if you look hard enough even the vinyl roof covering.

#7 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

If you want to customise something then sell the Special and buy a City. The Specials are a fantastic LE (one of my favourites). Please don't butcher it :thumbsup:

#8 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

14 to 1 for original resto !!

keep voting guys, and please make your comments known

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

keep it standard

the 1100 Specials are quite a nice LE with a few parts you dont find on any othe mini

#10 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

looking like a standard resto is on the cards then, I'm spraying my Mary Quant this afternoon, will post pics in the projects thread as soon as its done, really excited about owning an OEW car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users