29 replies to this topic

#1 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:19 PM

hi, i was driving to college this morning and the orange light under the spedo started to turn on and off according to the revs...... when i was in 4th idleing along it came on but when i was acceletating with high revs it would go off but come back on when i had reached the speed that i wanted to be at. anyone got any ideas?

#2 retrodan

retrodan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: kentish mini's

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

isnt that the oil pressure waring light?!?! is it a centre speedo?

#3 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Its the oil pressure warning light. It comes on when the oil pressure is low, and i mean REALLY low...!!!

Either it's faulty, or you have a problem.... When did you last check the oil level...?

#4 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

i checked the oil today and it was just below max

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

pumps nacked then most probly.

edit

when did you last change the oil??

#6 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

the oil was last changed in november

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

When the light comes on the oil pressure is already too low to be of any use to your engine, even at idle. It's about 7 psi which is not enough to keep the crank floating nicely. If the oil level is fine, when was the filter last changed? It is very bad for your engine to drive it around with oil pressure that low.

by the way, you are suppoed to know what that light means. It's in the driving test, if you don't know enough about your car to know what the warning lamps mean you shouldn't be driving it.

#8 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

i knew it was an oil warning light which is why i checked the level of the oil first ...... i was told by the previous owner that the light meant that the oil level was low, when i checked and it was fine i thought it was best to ask the people that know about it and not guess !!!

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

Well if the previous owner has been using it as an oil level warning rather than oil pressure that may well be the root of the problem! Sadly that makes it sound like it won't be cheap or easy to fix.

#10 retrodan

retrodan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

check oil pressure sensor!! u know where that is?

#11 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

where abouts is it ?

#12 retrodan

retrodan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

as u look at engine from front its on the left bout 3rd way down! just up left from dissy, sinlge wire coming from it!

#13 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

my brother has just checked it and he says its ok ....... he started the engine he opened the oil cap ontop of the engine to look inside ........ the revs dropped as soon as the cap came off and it almost stalled is that nomal ?!?!!??!?!

#14 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

depends. are you still using the carb to suck the C**p out of the engine from the breather pipe. then again even if you are the car should rev up not down unless you using a hell of a weak mix.

rather than looking in the oil cap take the rocker cover off and check there is oil around the rockers and badicaly eveywere.

#15 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

the carb is totally standard and i have not changed how it works in any way.... the mix that i am is veryslightly too strong .

back to my origional post, as the light goes off at higher revs is it safe to say that the pump is probably up the duff ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users