I finally had a day to work on the disc brakes . First job was a tidy up and guess what - I found a workbench hiding in the corner of the garage!
First mini job - rebuild the disc calipers with new seals and pistons
You can see the poor condition of the old pistons, one was completely stuck and needed to be pushed out of the caliper with the grease gun. There is a new stainless one on the left for comparison
This went very smoothly - both calipers were done in about an hour
Shimming the ball joints was a bit time consuming. I reshimmed the existing ball joints as they were still in good condition and they are the nice hard original type. I ended up with plenty of old MOWOG dust covers, and they are still in good condition after 50+ years, so they are going back on.
I assembled the new CV's on the bearings and checked the preload was within spec. They were all OK, so I fully greased up the bearings and installed the dust seals. I then assembled everything to check it all fitted OK and everything looked great.
The last step was to give the calipers a final coat of paint.
And finally double check the clearance to the new wheels
I just have to hunt down a couple of small things before I fit them to the car. Fortunately/unfortunately there are no mini events planned for the next couple of months, so I've got plenty of time to get it all sorted