#1 daniel_johno

daniel_johno

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

My A+ box is now stripped and all the parts have cleaned and checked for wear and damage.

On the face in the casing where the third motion bearing/double bearing is housed it has a scrape on it and is a little rough. Would i be safe enough if i filed away the roughness or will fitting the bearing back to this face affect the running of the box?

also is the fitting of new bearing neccesary if the old ones are in good condition? I know bill sollis reused the bearing on the gearbox he rebuilt (on his dvd) but just want to check with all you guys this is ok as i am on a tight budget so dont want to buy what i dont have to but then again dont want the box to last a month before it gives up and what abou the likes of the thrust washers?

thanks for looking

Dan

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:16 PM

I would have no concerns re-using a bearing so long as its not damaged, crunchy or has excess play. The thrusts should also be fine providing you measure them and they are within tolerance.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

getting the shimming correct for the bearings is most important, and aslong as the cages which separates the balls is still intact then there's no reason why not it cannot be re-used, it just wont last aslong as a new one. Things you need to inspect closely are the fit of the baulk rings on the gears, the layshaft and needle bearings.. any sign of pitting and they should be replaced.

There's also a gearbox rebuild guide in the FAQ's which may help..

Happy building ;D

#4 daniel_johno

daniel_johno

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

The bearings seem ok and intact but the double bearing/third motion bearing (? not exactly sure what its called) has a little play backwards and forwards. Is this indicating the bearings need replaced or is this a common in this type of bearing.

The layshaft has some rusting and pitting on it around the centre, as it has sat around for a few years, would this need replacing?

Thanks for the advice

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users