15 replies to this topic

#1 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

i have a 89 mini racing flame. what distributor cap do i need???

#2 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

points and condenser or electronic ign?

#3 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

piont and condesor x

#4 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

i think you need the clip on cap then, the screw on 1 is for electronic ignition, can someone back me up on this though, so i know im giving the right info out!

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

that's right. the easy way is to go down halfords, take the cap with you, check the lists and then open the box to make sure its the right one!

#6 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:38 PM

yeah theres a problem with that theory. mine smashed into little pieces when i crashed the car! x

#7 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

i think it is clip on tho!

#8 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hang on there was never a 1989 Mini Racing Flame LE, no you got either the Mini Racing Green in British Racing Green or the Mini Flame Red in well, Flame Red and both models came with Diamond White roofs, then a year later another wave was produced with the Rover style Minilites as standard (89's only got steel wheels with white plastic trims), oh and a third LE model was added to the mix called the Check Mate LE in Black and again fitted with Diamond white roof.

Okay history lesson over, but I imagine your Mini has the unleaded engine from new? Yes if my memory serves me right the Racing Green and Flame Red were launched with the Mini 30 LE and 2 other specials in 1989 called the Mini Sky (white with blue roof) and the Mini Rose (white with Pink roof) and they were all had unleaded engines.

Anyway according to the Moss parts site you just need part number GDC136 costing £4.95 (from them anyway) and it suits both the Lucas 45D & 59D dizzy (you should have the 59D distributor fitted for 998cc A+ lead free)

Well it's all described here:-

Moss Mini Ignition Systems

#9 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:50 PM

yeah thanks taffy i have the mini flame red. (sorry can never remember what its called and as if i was gonna go look) it has got an unleaded engine and thats good because i brought that cap last night. lets hope its the right one. thanks. x

#10 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

Yeah it should fit a treat mate, might be worth fitting a new rotor arm too if it's needed/time and how are the points looking?

#11 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

yeah brought a new rotor arm to match and what/where are the points??

#12 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

yeah brought a new rotor arm to match and what/where are the points??

Well their those metal things that are situated behind the dizzy cap and rotor arm. If yours was electronic ignition, like all Mini's from around 1990 onwards I think, there'd be nothing other than a rotor arm behind the cap, but once you remove your dizzy cap, you'll be able to see the points as fitted to your dizzy.

I changed them on one occasion on my niece's old Mayfair and it wasn't too difficult, but I followed the Haynes book of lies and a rather excellent Mini Repair manual that all Mini owners should have as it makes everything look so easy what with it's many clear photographs and descripitions. Well if I can do it, anyone can!

Anyway here it is and you can buy it new from Amazon via this link:-

The Total Guide to Mini Maintenance

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

Hang on there was never a 1989 Mini Racing Flame LE, no you got either the Mini Racing Green in British Racing Green or the Mini Flame Red in well, Flame Red and both models came with Diamond White roofs, then a year later another wave was produced with the Rover style Minilites as standard (89's only got steel wheels with white plastic trims), oh and a third LE model was added to the mix called the Check Mate LE in Black and again fitted with Diamond white roof

This is one of the most frequently discussed special editions here, usually for this reason. Yes you are right that he has either a Flame Red or a Racing Green, but Davex is also right that he has a Racing Flame. The officially listed name for the model that year and as written on the V5 is Racing Flame and for the next year it's Racing Flame Checkmate.

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

Well Rover were very confused if that's the case then?

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

Not really, every different model needs to be approved for sale seperately by the officials and this costs money. If they launched three seperate special models with different names it would cost more money so officially the range of models gets merged together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users