21 replies to this topic

#1 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:00 PM

Is this a bad idea fitting 6x9 speakers to the parcel shelf as you have to have cut two large holes also the speakers are close together to clear the tank.

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

works fine. my borther did it right before he ruined the mini (then i got it and it workes proper. hee hee. sorry) but they fit fine. got the old bit of wood for the parcel shelf if you need a guide. have to come get it tho. i'll try to take a pic later if you need.

#3 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

i've done it before also, bit of a nightmare job compared to car with *normal* parcel shelf but still can be done and still sounds good

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:06 AM

I found it difficult with just tin snips, I would think a dremel would help alot though

#5 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

I have my 6x9's under back seat. Made a board up really quick from some mdf and lined it with the carpet that would normally extend beyond it under under the seats and got a real good look. Get great sound from them too.

Cutting into the parcel shelf isnt recommended for any reason as it weakens the rear structure of the car, and seeing as its very easy to fit them udner the seats i would go for that.

si

#6 Bondbill2k2

Bondbill2k2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

i had them under seats but putting them in parcel shelf as dont want them getting damaged from people sitting in back

#7 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

Can imagine that being a problem but never have peeps in the back of mine, my little 850 doesnt like carryin too many people (if they could even fit)

#8 Bondbill2k2

Bondbill2k2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

Can imagine that being a problem but never have peeps in the back of mine, my little 850 doesnt like carryin too many people (if they could even fit)

Had 5 f us in mates 998cc mayfair lat night and thts with full size bucket seats not designed for mini in and right back. LOL

Ye well i will give people lifts (mates ofcourse) so will be a problem + speakers i hav dnt hav a grill

#9 mini25

mini25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

us a dremel or one of those vertical saws (can picture but dont know what called) mine work well and have a slab of mdf between them and the actual shelf bout 2cm thick. seen walk throughs which say u ort to remove rear window but u can probly do without

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

If you can get your hands on a copy of the March 2006 mini mag,
In the back (Hands on section) these a giude on how to fit 6x9's on the rear shelf.

Personally I prefer them not to be on show, although this does compromise the sound quality a bit.

#11 Billy

Billy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

my 6x9s are mounted on a peice of 22mm mdf from underneath the metal with the holes cut and a stealth shelf ontop
they sound good and are proper descreet ie everyone asks where my speakers are Lol I even get asked if I have a sub and have to open my boot to prove I dont Lol

#12 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for all your help I was wondering if the 6x9 are close together on the shelf and it must be close to the tank. not sure how much it weakens the rear after cutting any picture anyone.

#13 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

There is a shelf you can buy for fitting 6x9s without cutting the parceol shelf. It kind of looks like you've got rear headrests and the speakers face forwards. Might be an option - I'm sure Smudger on here makes them try the styling section - there might be a picture in there.

#14 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

could always rent a plasma cutter and be done in about 15 mins for all the fitting.

i love plasma cutters <3

#15 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

My biggest regret with my old mini was cutting big holes in the back for the 6x9's they sounded great but kinda ruined the car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users