15 replies to this topic

#1 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

I have just found out about the mini miglia racing series ( in my defence it takes a long time for stuff to reach us on the other side of the world).

Approx 4.5 seconds for a 0-60 time? Have they left off 10 seconds somewhere? From a 1293?

I'd love to read some more information about them and maybe turn my mini into something similar. Are there any build threads on here?

#2 tweeter74

tweeter74

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have just found out about the mini miglia racing series ( in my defence it takes a long time for stuff to reach us on the other side of the world).

Approx 4.5 seconds for a 0-60 time? Have they left off 10 seconds somewhere? From a 1293?

I'd love to read some more information about them and maybe turn my mini into something similar. Are there any build threads on here?

Please find link here to help build one...http://www.mini7.co.uk/Downloads.html

#3 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

If you were to turn your road mini into something like a miglia performance wise, you'd be rebuilding engines once a month and the extremely short gear ratios for that quick acceleration would make them undriveable day to day I'd imagine!

#4 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Sorry about that,

I should mention my mini is really only a track day toy and I only go four times a year. Short gear ratios would mean a low top end speed?

#5 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Sorry about that,

I should mention my mini is really only a track day toy and I only go four times a year. Short gear ratios would mean a low top end speed?

Miglia engines also cost about £10,15k to build, they are amazing pieces of engineering but not a cheap build

#6 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

There are very fast and I got to rebuild mine every 10 hours of running.hi revving 8500+rpm
The 0 -60 is around 5sec top speed is 125ish as only allowed 3.9 diff plus crap areo

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

I'd love to read some more information about them and maybe turn my mini into something similar.

http://www.mini7.co.uk/miglia.html

#8 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:10 AM

Thanks mab,

Will read through that forum and see if if can glean some more information. I guess the hard part is not getting to look at one or two examples in the flesh means I am working blind.

The cost doesn't scare me, I was looking at Porsche caymans yesterday but I like my mini more and just couldn't part with it.

#9 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

I just realised my title got auto corrected by my iPad! Thanks apple!

If a mod could change it to miglia I would be grateful.

#10 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

The cars look standard, but that's as far as they go. They are so so well engineered and a fully fledged racing car. It's a serious engine

#11 brum,brum,mike

brum,brum,mike

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

just out of curiosity, what power and torque figures does the typical miglia engine push out?

#12 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

126-132 bhp and 103-110 torque
But is down to how it produces it

#13 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

At about 6500 rpm and over....;)

#14 Spaceibiza

Spaceibiza

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Will read through that forum and see if if can glean some more information. I guess the hard part is not getting to look at one or two examples in the flesh means I am working blind.

I went to watch the Mini Miglia and Mini Seven race at Donington this year. I think the Mini seven race was the closest race i've ever seen! Anyway I took a few close up pictures of the cars in the paddock. They are on my flickr page. They might give you a few ideas of what a Miglia is like close up and hopefully give you some inspiration for your project!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42876835@N08/sets/72157633278530826/ 

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

"Mini Miglia is seen as the Formula 1 of Mini racing thanks to its highly competitive racing and need for constant high tech development to keep pace with the front runners. It is no coincidence that Swiftune-powered cars have won nine of the last eleven Mini Miglia championships including back-to-back wins from 2006 to 2009.

For the engine builder the Mini Miglia regulations are tough. Standard Cooper S valve sizes, an 11.0:1 compression ratio, STR 930 camshaft and standard 1.3 ratio rockers represent the starting point for exacting detailed development. A Swiftune Miglia engine is built around a steel forged crankshaft, H beam con-rods and lightweight, pistons to ensure superb reliability. Moving up the engine you will find fully mapped ignition and Weber carburation but the cylinder head holds the secret to race-winning power.

Nick Swift explains: "We invest in a massive development programme for the Miglia cylinder head. After seeing an improvement in air flow on our in-house rig we move to our new Superflow 902 dyno to prove out the power gains. Every extra bhp is a triumph!"

http://www.swiftune....ini-miglia.aspx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users