5 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

I was removing my drivers door from my club man the other day.

~But unfortuneately 3 of the 4 studs that hold the door on to the a pillar sheared off when i was undooing them.

and it also appears that the hinges are stuck on to the door as well.

ANy body know a good way of removing the broken studs,

i've tried drilling one and its as tough as old boots. 7 dill bits and 15 minutes later and im only half way through..

any info would be ace

cheers lee

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:52 AM

if its just a straing stuf then use a punch and a big bloody hammer. don't forget the wd40. if that dosen't do it then your going to have to heat them up and bsh them out.

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

If the studs that pass through the flitch panel have broken off I think the easiest thing to do may be to look for another set of hinges. The hinges are removable from the door. From memory there is a philips head screw holding them to the door frame (2 on each hinge). Infact, thinking about it, they may even be torx headed. Anyway, I would take the hinges off the door frame and replace them. ;D

If the screws that hold the hinge to the door are stuck, get some WD40 to the back of them if you can, if not, give them a tap to see if it will loosen them. Failing that you may have to drill the head off them and then get a pair of mole grips or similar on what is left sticking out of the door.

#4 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

Door hinges can be a major pain, they are made of rubbish metal, and are in a really bad place for picking up crud and road salt.

Presuming the door is off the car, you have two options, either replace the hinges or repair them. They can be a right bugger to remove, as the large philips headed screws can be seized up. (On later cars they used torx headed bolts that are just as rubbish..!!).

If you are trying to remove the hinges, try using an impact screwdriver. These can be bought for about a tenner, and come with a nice big philips head that should fit quite well. Make sure you don't mash up the head or you'll never get them out...

To repair the hinges, you can always cut off the leftover bits of stud with an angle grinder and then drill out the remaining bit. Thats how i did mine, don't recall them being that tough, take it easy with a nice new drill bit. Use some oil on the bit to keep it cool and you should be able to get through with a very small drill bit and then progress to a decent sized one. Its possible to get a bolt (25 mm if i remember correctly) through from the back of the hinge and tack it in place with a small bit of weld....

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

Or one other way to get the hinge screws off, place a nut on the screw and weld it on from the inside of the nut. You should be able to get alot more leverage on a nut with a socket set than a screw with a screwdriver.

#6 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, i forgot to mention that one. Never tried it, but i'm sure it would work quite well....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users