13 replies to this topic

#1 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Would a k20a2 fit under a standard roundnose mini 96?

#2 macauley151

macauley151

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Local Club: Solent mini club

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

It all depends on how much work you are looking at doing. I am no expert but I'm looking at doing a Honda conversion also but from what I have seen and read, unless you are going to cut and modify the firewall it would require an extended front end. plus mod minis is the UK supplier of all the American 'superfastminis' products. they do the subframe conversion kits and for a k series engine they state you would need an extended front end.

you could make your own subframe but again it all depends on your budget and time.

#3 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

damn! I love the roundnose. Tuesday I pick up the engine...

#4 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

What if I modify the intake manifold? Would it still not fit in the round nose?

#5 macauley151

macauley151

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Im not really the one to say... I have only looked into it slightly as I'm going down the b series not the k.

It all depends on what you are going to do with the subframe really. Are you buying one or planning on making one?

I think also that the reason why 'superfastminis' made there conversion frame Llonger is to accommodate the gearbox as I think it's larger that the b (I may be wrong on that) there is a guy on here that started a k series conversion but he hasn't updated the thread for a long time so you may have to search for it but he was making his own subframe because he wanted it to fit under a standard round nose. He also cut the fire wall to make it work.

You may also find that if you went down the route of trying to fit it under a standard round nose and was prepared to make a subframe you would struggle with room for a radiator. It's really tight to fit a radiator with a b series engine so it would be a lot harder with a k series engine.

#6 macauley151

macauley151

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

If you go into page two of the Honda conversions, you'll fine the thread for a k24 ivtec. Page one shoes you how far the firewall has been moved. I think that's quite drastic but the engine only just fits even when that's done. I would take some time and look into it more. I'm sure this could be done but a custom subframe would have to be made. I would speak to Kieran, he makes Honda conversion frames to fit under a standard round nose. He mainly does the b series so I don't know if he can do a k series. He has a thread called 'carbon Kevlar estate', should send him a message and find out. They are reasonable priced and cheaper than other places.

#7 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks a lot for your time and Great replies. I did sent a message to Kieran also did I see the treat about the 24'r. I just so hope it will fit under a standard roundnose! Or maybe a little tiny bit prolonged. But not 4" that's just not as I like it.

#8 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks a lot for your time and Great replies. I did sent a message to Kieran also did I see the treat about the 24'r. I just so hope it will fit under a standard roundnose! Or maybe a little tiny bit prolonged. But not 4" that's just not as I like it.

#9 macauley151

macauley151

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

It's fine... Plan it well and take your time and it would be a great car once completed.

If in doubt of anything just ask and I'm sure one of us on here can help you out.

Keep the thread active with progress Aswell, I would love to see how you get on with it. May even make me do a 4wd k series Honda.

#10 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I did have contact with kieran and The way to fit The k20 in is move The firewall 4" back.. So now im going to check The best possible option to do it.

#11 eZpZ

eZpZ

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm afraid that I should just forget about the roundnose. If I move the firewall I need to replace the pedals and then the steer should also be repositioned.

#12 MiniMan96

MiniMan96

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm afraid that I should just forget about the roundnose. If I move the firewall I need to replace the pedals and then the steer should also be repositioned.

Hi there, I am also looking to do the K20 conversion on my 2nd mini and as far as I know without moving the fire wall you will require a 90mm extended front.

#13 1293gt

1293gt

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: nonw

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

I hope so!

#14 giacomo

giacomo

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

theres one on the 16vminiclub that has a k20 in the front, standard round nose to!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users