16 replies to this topic

#16 newenglandmini

newenglandmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Re: removing the ball, I think fixturing the trumpet would be of benefit.  I'm going to use my biggest hole saw to drill a hole in a 2X4 board and mount it in my vise.  I think that would do nicely to hold the trumpet in place.  I'll post an image if this proves effective.

Edited by newenglandmini, 03 January 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#17 newenglandmini

newenglandmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Job done, but what a miserable experience.  Several days of penetrant soaking and chisel work was to no avail.  I tried cooking the area with a propane torch, eventually setting one cone on fire.  Still no success.  I finally used my 7-1/4" circular saw to make a circumferential cut in the cone just above the trumpet.  I cut through the rubber and the inner aluminum ring.  I then put the trumpet in my vise and chiseled the cone remnant from the trumpet.

I removed the ball without too much difficulty.  I used penetrant and then heated the mating area using a propane torch.  I fixtured the trumpet wide side up in my vise and pushed the ball out with a hammer and a 5/16" steel rod.

The trumpets are now cleaned up and ready for reassembly.

The good news is that I'll be a trumpet expert when it's time to redo the front cones!

Attached File  DSCN4756.JPG   67.33K   10 downloads

Attached File  DSCN4755.JPG   58.13K   18 downloads

Attached File  DSCN4754.JPG   64.16K   16 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users