22 replies to this topic

#1 Ask3wz1486

Ask3wz1486

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

I'm 17 and struggling to find a cheap quote can somebody please help me with finding a good company to insure my 1990 rover mini city it's a 1 litre and has 2 modifications consisting of alloy wheels and modified exhaust for performance and appearance. I got a quote from Adrian flux for £2700 which isn't what I was hoping for, I'd like to pay around £2200 or less if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

#2 Ask3wz1486

Ask3wz1486

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I am also a member of the mini owners club if this helps in any way

#3 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

formally known as samkingd0n

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Local Club: I ride alone

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

did you go through TMF?

#4 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Try gocompare im on 1,600 for my mini fully comp and thats with my parents as named drivers.

#5 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

I know it's sounds stupid, but have you tried comparison sites?

Also, changing back to standard items may help - try elephant, co-op, direct line, e-co-op...

#6 the_samkingdon15

the_samkingdon15

formally known as samkingd0n

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Local Club: I ride alone

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

if you're going Adrian flux, join TMF+
for £5 you'll get 15% off insurance

#7 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Oh! And adding experienced drivers as named drivers could also help lower your premium.

I've also found parking my daily car on my drive is cheaper than a locked garage or on the road.

#8 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Compare the market seems cheapest
Storing your car on the road also makes it cheaper, along with adding parents or other people to your policy

#9 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Compare the market seems cheapest
Storing your car on the road also makes it cheaper, along with adding parents or other people to your policy

It depends on the area, if there are a lot of garage thefts and claims for garage contents the premium for storing the vehicle in a garage would bump the premium up.

Worth running a few quotes to see what comes out cheapest.

#10 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

I found compare the market the cheapest with admiral. See if you can get an agreed valuation this made my quote go down £500 and made my car worth £2000 rather £200.

#11 Ask3wz1486

Ask3wz1486

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

What's is TMF+? And I've added my dad as a named driver on the insurance and my car will be parked on my driveway at night. I've been on comparison websites also but i will give elephant and co-op a try see if I get any luck getting it cheaper. I'll be using my vehicle for commuting and social use, so I will give it a go, I appreciate all the help guys thank you. This is stressful stuff! And leaves a burning hole in your pocket where your money once was.

#12 Ask3wz1486

Ask3wz1486

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

I should probably also add that I am not too keen on my driving being monitored. Not because I intend to drive stupidly I just think it will take away a lot of the freedom I will get when driving.

#13 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

I should probably also add that I am not too keen on my driving being monitored. Not because I intend to drive stupidly I just think it will take away a lot of the freedom I will get when driving.

Don't, there really is no point. When I bought my insurance, the black box ones were more expensive.

#14 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Don't, there really is no point. When I bought my insurance, the black box ones were more expensive.

+1 I found they only dropped my insurance by about £100, but for that £100 it wasn't worth it. If you're monitored driving a little abnormal, they have the ability to cancel your insurance.

If your mum has had her license for a while, see how much it is to add her on too.

#15 Ask3wz1486

Ask3wz1486

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

I will take a look and I've looked at getting a black box but a lot of companies won't let me because I've got 'too many' modifications. Probably doesn't help I've installed some speakers but I looked on elephant and they quoted me £5,000 or £744 a month.... I was hoping for £250 a month as a maximum as I can comfortably afford it, and co-op insurance won't insure me for the reason i mentioned before. It's just really frustrating that I can't find a reasonable quote anywhere i mean £5,000 is a ridiculous amount of money, usually by going direct to companies they go lower but for me it's more like double. So far looks like I'm gonna be going with Adrian Flux but I'm going to keep looking, thanks for your help guys, It's appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users