4 replies to this topic

#1 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Got micro blisters all over my bootlid.the car was resprayed about 5 years ago. It was bare metal and etch primed. I think it is due to moisture in the primer.i was thinking of removing the number plate light and respraying the boot myself. The car is a metallic. Would i be able to use aerosols or am I best to get paint to go through the gun. I have a compressor with water trap and a gravity fed gun. Obviously aerosols are easier but will i get coverage. Any help will be great.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I would strip it back to bare metal first, make sure there is no rust then go from there. I would use the compressor and spray gun but metallics are notorious to match up properly. 

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,492 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

as above

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

I have to agree, there is nio shortcut to fixing it properly. I always avoid metallic colours to make life easier in the future, but you are where you are and will just have to bite the bullet and respray the boot lid completely from bare metal to get a lasting result.

#5 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Personally I'd do the prep, so take back to bare metal treat, weld, grind etc
Then I would take it to a paint shop to have it professionally sprayed and blended in. If you consider how much it'll cost you in rattle cans of etch primer, filler primer, sanding grits, degreaser, tack cloths and top coat plus lacquer you probably won't be far behind what a professional will charge, although saying all that its always good to have a go but definitely worth considering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users