#1 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hi guys

So, having just been comparing quotes as i come into my 4th year of driving, i've started to notice a pattern.
The larger the car/engine cc's, the lower or more reasonable the price.
A breif rundown:

1st was a 1.2 corsa, cost me roughly 1800 to insure.
My 2nd car was a 1.6 civic vtec, which cost 1300.

Then i had a mini, cost me 1400 to insure, followed by a 2litre vauxhall omega, costing 1500 to insure.

Now, my most reason one, i recently bought a 1l micra, costing just shy of 1400 tpf&t.
Ive just been getting quotes for my replacement car, a 2l lexus is200 of less than 700 fully comp.

What is the justification behind this? I cannot see the corelation between vehicle/ engine size and the price paid. It seems to be one big lucky dip ir 'wheel of misfortune'

#2 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

i could explain it but easiest way is to study the numberwang algorithm. 

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Lexus drives smash their cars up less ?

I'm at a loss to explain insurance

phone around is my advise 

#4 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

#5 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Thats the only thing i can put it down to. Is that much more smaller cars i.e. micras, mini's etc have been crashed and claimed against than the bigger cars, the likes of the omegas and lexus's.

But considering im still not quite 21, being able to insure a 2l lexus for less than half the price of a micra seems ludicris

#6 Grimshaw17

Grimshaw17

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

I noticed this when looking at A3's the other day, £1200 fully comp on a 1.6, £970 fully comp on a 1.8. Insurance is a weird one ;)

#7 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Different companies seem to like different cars, Admiral were quite happy to insure my beast of an 2.5D Volvo XC90 for a decent price but actually wanted more money when I swaped to a 1.2 Corsa with a 100k on the clock

baffling

#8 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

And this rubbish about it being the same for girls now. My sister owned my micra before i did, and her insurance was half the price, and had been driving for less than half the time i have been

#9 lukepilot

lukepilot

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

I guess it's to do with the cost of repairing the vehicle in the event of a break down or crash? Like repairing the turbo on a tdi is quite expensive.

#10 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

my mini was 1100 for the first year, 385 the second and 70quid to change it to a 1.25 fiesta half way through and also with my three points, still have trouble with cars over 1.8 though

#11 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

But considering im still not quite 21, being able to insure a 2l lexus for less than half the price of a micra seems ludicris

More 21yr olds smash micras than old Lexus.  Hence the prices.  Its based on historical data mainly.  My mate is insured on a MK5 GTI at 21 with a few mods (custom leather interior, couple bits of carbon, genuine BBS CH wheels etc) but got a quote for a B5 RS4 Avant of £650 and a C5 RS6 Avant for £725.  Go figure.

(Only thing that put him off an RS Audi was the running costs sadly :( )

#12 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

It just doesnt make any logical sense

#13 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

It just doesnt make any logical sense

It does if you you're an insurance company and understand about risks - you think they'd go putting out wrong quotes and making a loss every day of the week?

#14 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Wether it makes any logical sense, depends on which way you look at it. If you work on the assumption that a bigger engine means more power, which means more crashes, then admittedly it doesnt make much sense. But insurance premiums tend to be calculated on statistical risk based on historical data from past claims.

The majority of collisions and therefore the majority of claims tend to occur on urban roads, which tend to be frequented more by small cars. Small cars also tend to be cheaper and therefore have less safety systems (ABS, traction/stability control, air bags, crumple zones etc), which means that not only are there less systems in place to prevent accidents in a small cars, there's probably an increased risk of injury to the occupants of small cars too. Smaller cars also tend to be driven by younger and therefore less experienced drivers, who are statistically at the greatest risk of an accident in the first place.

Whilst larger cars are more powerful, cause more damage when they crash, and are more expensive to repair, that's all offset by the fact that they tend to do more motorway miles, where there are less collisions, and they tend to be driven by older more experienced drivers too, so they're probsbly less likely to be involved in a collision in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users