thompson1929

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hi 

hoping for some advice with this,

i brought an engine a few years ago (1275) to replace the one in my mini, i was very new to learning about the engine then and was unsure what i was doing, what needed changing and what did not, anyhow i changed the mechanical fuel pump (which i thought went well at the time).

I put the engine in this weekend and cranked it, i got it started but it was over fueling (which i thought was carb settings)

then all of a sudden it stalled, after checking everything (fuel in tank, pipes not blocked ect) i found its a fuel pump fault.

went to dig the original pump out and realised it had a spacer on it (which the new one does not) i have not taken it off yet but am under the impression the arm has broken off inside, which i have been told drops down to the sump.

Heres where i can only hope........

is there an easy way anyone know for getting the arm out without removing the engine and stripping it down?

thanks in advance for your knowledge, 

Mike

#2 nz_seamless

nz_seamless

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Take the pump you installed off and check it. I would be surprised if you have managed to break the arm off.

If you have, you will need to either break the whole motor down and split the block from the gearbox, or maybe, just maybe, you could pull the speedo drive and get enough access to retrieve the arm.

If it was me I would split the block and replace the crankshaft seal and the oil pump while I was in there. Never regretted replacing oil pumps.

#3 grumpy dad

grumpy dad

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Hi

if the pump has broken 

try this 

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c7b0f6b96

put two of them through the pump hole 

on some string 

if you are not good with knots 

make a long loop

I have used

this trick to lift cam followers

when i had to do a cam change

in the car

#4 thompson1929

thompson1929

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for your help and ideas , went and investigated yesterday and found that the arm was still in tack lucky ! Changed the fuel pump and put a spacer in this time . Works perfect now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users