2 replies to this topic

#1 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

I am changing my drums to disks and im changing the drive shafts as well, I am doing this as well as taking my engine out.

What is the best way to remove the drive shafts, hubs and drums?

#2 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

take the hubs off. You'll need a ball joint seperator of some sort. then the drive shafts should just pull out.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

Drive shafts should never just pull out.

The shaft is held into the inner pot joint and the outer CV joint in the same way, by a circlip in the spline. You need to apply some force to the part of the joint connected to the shaft. At the pot joint this is the small inner member of the joint which floats about in it's rubber gaiter and at the CV it's the section you can't really see. Holding the shaft you need to hit the back of the CV with a soft faced hammer or hit the outer edge of the inner section of the pot joint (just visible inside the folded over section of the gaiter) with a scredwriver / cold chisel and hammer. The pot joint is not as well put together as the CV so if you hit the outer it won't hold together and pull off of the shaft, it'll just move. They should knock off of the splines but can seize in place.

If they are stuck you need to seperate the inner and outer member of the pot joint in order to get the shafts out of the car, easily done as they are only held together by the gaiter and you can carefully slice it off with a knife. The shaft and joint will then pull out of the subframe but you really should be careul to put the correct inner member back into each pot joint when re-building them as they are matched pairs. You should probably do this fairly quickly after knocking the inner member off of the drive shaft so you don't mix the two up. You'll need new gaiters obviously and they should be really clean and regreased inside with the grease that comes with the gaiters. Normal grease won't do.

If the inner member is really stuck, you can prise the end cap off of it and drive out the shaft from within it but you will need to replace the joint afterwards. Same if you loose any balls or break the cage. If you have both the inner and outer member than you can get an exchange joint, the cap, balls, cage and gaiter are all replaceable by the reconditioner.

The outer member of the pot joint is also held by a circlip and can just be levered away from the gearbox casing, you will eventually feel it pop off of the shaft and it will then slide out. Remember that this is all that is holding the oil in the gearbox though if you haven't already drained it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users