49 replies to this topic

#1 gardeNknomE

gardeNknomE

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

Deciding whether or not to buy a 998cc mini, or hold out for a 1275cc sprite for example. Obviously the 1275cc will give that extra power, but does it really make a lot of difference? I am not insured so I can't even drive either of them-so I am relying on your opinions people!

#2 Lund

Lund

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

Deciding whether or not to buy a 998cc mini, or hold out for a 1275cc sprite for example. Obviously the 1275cc will give that extra power, but does it really make a lot of difference? I am not insured so I can't even drive either of them-so I am relying on your opinions people!

I say 850! :D , but then again I would would'nt I :D :D

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

well just to throw a spanner in the works i has a 998cc once that went just as well as my old cooper spi. both standard, im a fan of a 998 as they rev harder but 1275 gives a little more torque bottom end. im sure some people will disagree though.

#4 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

Kind of depends on your situation as well with your age and the amount (if any) of no claims bonus you might have. I would imagine that the 998 would be easier and cheaper to insure. I run my mini with a 998 and a stage 1 kit with straight through exhaust, its a real gutsy engine and will rev hard. Obviously some 998's are stronger than others but if your youngthen personally I would go for the smaller option.

Dan.

#5 gardeNknomE

gardeNknomE

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

yep...i'm 17 and was thinking a 1275cc may give me a little more street cred, faster off the blocks etc. lol

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

youll get more credit if you can build a good 850/998 than any bigger engine. show a few people up lol :D

#7 mike998

mike998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

ive just turned 18 an have had my 998 for a year, it has stage one with straight through exhast and for what it is it realy does shift.
and is a lot cheaper on insurence.

#8 Lund

Lund

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

im a fan of a 998 as they rev harder

Mine revS harder neh nah :o

:D

Well...if i rev it hard my timing chain will disintergrate :D Goddam 850's! And then at 6,500 rpm my crankshaft will begin to whip and vibrate destroying the timing chain in a matter of minutes... :D As i said before, goddam 850's!

Ah well, thats life :-

:w00t:

#9 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:21 PM

yep...i'm 17 and was thinking a 1275cc may give me a little more street cred, faster off the blocks etc. lol

Don't try and run before you can walk. Get yourself a 998 and learn how to handle a car. Ignore getting car park points as when you crash you'll put all our premiums up ! >:D

#10 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

998 is plenty, mine cruises at 70 no problems. cheap insurance, economy etc. if you want to then later on you can stick a big engine in when you can afford insurance.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

Thing is, you will spend almost the same amount of money tuning the 998 as you would the 1275, difference is that the 1275 will always produce more power with the same levels of tuning on each.

Tuned 998 will cost more than a standard 1275, Its cheaper to fit a standard 1275 than to buy a stage three head for the 998. Pistons and rebores will cost the same for either, modified cylinder heads are much the same price for either, camshaft of choice is the same for either, manifolds are muc the same price.

Oh and the insurance will look kinder on a standard 1275 swap than they would on a heavily modified 998.

It all depends what you want from your engine

standard 1275 is a far better base to start from when looking for power.

I say all this with respect for the 998 as I too like these little motors.

#12 robbo

robbo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:23 PM

feel i have to reply and stick up for the young. well the sensible young. Im only 19 and have been driving for two years and im after a 1275. 998's from what i gather are good revers but if ur looking for bigger power in the future i say hold out for a 1275. 1275's are hardly rockets from stock! and i dnt think ur premium will be that much bigger (although not sure on the last point)

as for this point

'Don't try and run before you can walk. Get yourself a 998 and learn how to handle a car. Ignore getting car park points as when you crash you'll put all our premiums up'

come on give us young lads a break, as long as you drive sensibly, and i think as this guy is on a forum and a mini owner i think he is inclined to be more sensible on the road then a 1275 isnt going to be 'too much' for him to handle.

i drove a 1.1 fiesta for 3 months before purchasing a 1.6 version and it was never a problem, i just had to respect it and not go speeding dwn roads at xxx mph. as long as i was sensible it was ok, only ever had one accident in it and that was the back end of a 5 series when it decided to reverse into me while i was stationary.

Sorry for the rant but i feel us youngens always get told to buy less powerful cars which struggle to get up a hill just because of the odd willy head who cant drive properly and plants his car into lamp posts etc!!! and further to this the odd willy head aint exactly gonna be on a forum is he? asking for advice? no hes gonna be dwn the cinmea complex or mc donalds!

and in answer to ur question wait for that 1275, after driving for a while u will realise that you cant beat lots of low down tourque!

#13 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

The guy is not considering an engine swap at the moment. He simply says what type of mini should he buy.

Personally i would say got for a 1275 sprite as you will only want more power and as stock with no mods the 1275 will give you more out of the box

#14 93-rio

93-rio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen mini owners club (AMOC)

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

I got a 1275 and i'm only 19, ive had it since before i was 18 and the highest my insurance has ever been was £900, (less than £600 now) not good, but far from bad. As for having too much power "cough" you can never have enough power as long as u have the breaks to back you up (which reminds me) cant imagine what it would be like with less power apart from being slower lol

#15 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

as for this point

'Don't try and run before you can walk. Get yourself a 998 and learn how to handle a car. Ignore getting car park points as when you crash you'll put all our premiums up'

come on give us young lads a break, as long as you drive sensibly, and i think as this guy is on a forum and a mini owner i think he is inclined to be more sensible on the road then a 1275 isnt going to be 'too much' for him to handle.

Sorry for the rant but i feel us youngens always get told to buy less powerful cars which struggle to get up a hill just because of the odd willy head who cant drive properly and plants his car into lamp posts etc!!! and further to this the odd willy head aint exactly gonna be on a forum is he? asking for advice? no hes gonna be dwn the cinmea complex or mc donalds!

and in answer to ur question wait for that 1275, after driving for a while u will realise that you cant beat lots of low down tourque!

Oh here speaketh the voice of experience?

I'm very sorry but I beg to differ after having spent more years than I care to mention on forums such as this. Yes, it does happen more frequently than you probably change your pants that people asking about more power before they've even passed their test end up wrapping the car round a lamp post.

Obviously the young people have far more driving experience than us old folk so I'll just shut up and let the people with no idea give the new people their very valued experiences !!!! :'(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users