0--todd--0

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: Central minis

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

hi all

i have a problem starting my mini, when i turn the key i wait for the fuel pump to pressure up.

i then turn the key in attemp to start the engine, it just seems to turn over but not start.

taking the air filter off i found that the injector was only injecting fuel once every 8 times , the rest felt like pure air.

if i use some easy start then it starts up after 2 seconds no problem and from then on the injector seems to fuel like it should , only miss fueling every once in a while .

after i let the car warm up for a few mins and drive it , it drives fine, and once i turn the engine off it will restart at the turn of the key.

it usually takes a couple of hours to get to the state where it will not turn over.

has anyone had this problem before or could anybody help me?

thanks in advance

#2 MiniGrin

MiniGrin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Local Club: Loud 'N' Lairy MOC (Sheffield)

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Wow, unusual, well id say possibly a blocked or even broken fuel line/hose, or an old and clogged filter. If you have the ability to (don't know how good access to them is on a mini - not had to look at mine ... yet) have a look for any leaks, if air is getting in, then fuel is getting out, and if it runs anywhere near the exhaust...... could get interesting. If not then try changing out the fuel filter (unless recently serviced), try some "RedEx" or other fuel system cleaner, put in about 75ml and then brim the tank with petrol, run it as you normally would, perhaps the odd burst of extra revs, but no need to go mad. This is to clean up any clogged bit of pipe / injector or any other blocked part of the system, its dissolves and dislodges any bits of soot, sludge etc. if used too often your rubbers don't like it, but every now and again its a good idea to flush threw the system. Can cause a little black/blue smoke until its all out of the system as its dragging all the rubbish out of the system and ignites differently from petrol.
Im no expert, just what ive found with one of my dads cars which wasn't fuelling properly.
Hope it helps, James.

- only other thing I can think of is an issue with one of the exhaust sensors, giving information back to the ecu that less fuel is needed..... but I know next to nothing on ecus and the electrical bits like that.

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

Plug in a code reader and check what's going on.

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users