2 replies to this topic

#1 JackBondurant

JackBondurant
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: Pretoria Old Motor Club

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

Hello all,

I bought my first Mini yesterday and I am very excited to fix the minor problems she has. It is a 1982 Leyland Mini 1275. I found this website through a friend of mine who recommended I visit when he got word of my buying intentions. I don't regret visiting at all. 

I have set certain goals with the Mini and my first goal is to fix the braking problem. The problem is that when I start a journey and brake she pulls quite viciously to the left. The longer I drive the less apparent the problem becomes and eventually brakes with no pulling whatsoever. Usually the pulling stops when a normal engine temperature is reached. Something interesting I picked up driving her to her new home was that the front left wheel tends to "spin" whenever I pull away. 

I would appreciate any help or information on this problem of mine. It is worth stating that is my first ever car and that I am not as skilled with diagnosing and fixing problems on cars as I want to be. I intend to give it my all as I see this as the start of a lifelong journey I want to undertake behind the steering wheel of my Mini.

JackBondurant

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

With regards to the brakes it could be as simple as bleeding them. However I would consider stripping the fronts down ( I take it they are discs on the front?) and checking the pads and also the calipers. It could be the pistons within the calipers are very stiff due to corrosion and may need rebuilding.

You can buy new pistons from Minispares. It depends on what Calipers you have fitted.
http://www.minispare...er pistons.aspx
Also the rebuild kits as well
http://www.minispare...repair kit.aspx

#3 JackBondurant

JackBondurant
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: Pretoria Old Motor Club

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thank you, Sir. I will try do so.

JackBondurant

0 user(s) are reading this topic