20 replies to this topic

#1 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hello just wondered what a rough valuation for my mini would be :)

Specification

Engine

998 Engine - 72k Miles

Converted to Electronic Ignition

Just Serviced - New Coil, Plugs, Leads, Filters, Oil etc...

Set up professionally 1k miles ago

Unleaded Valve Seat Conversion

Full 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust System

Brakes

Metro 4 Pots on the front with vented disks

Mini-fin Rear Drum Brakes 

Suspension

Subframe recently changed and refurbished along with radius arms (3 months ago)

Uprated Tie Rods + Polypushed Front End

Wheels

12x6 Superstars with great tyres

MOT

Will stick 12 months on as will pass easy

Interior

Mamba Bucket Seats with rear seats covered to match

Custom Black Vinyl Dash with Speakers in

New Black Carpet Set + Floor Mats

Optimise Automotive Doorcards Black with Orange Stiching

Optimise Autmotive Headling Black with Orange Stiching - Will be fitted soon

Orange Dash Rail Covers with black stiching - Will be fitted soon

Audio

Pioneer Headunit

Vibe 4 Channel Amplifer 

2 6x9 Speakers

2 4" Speakers in Dash

Car had 2 x A Panels, New Front Panel, Door re-skin and then inner arch repairs and a respray in November 2013

Also had new chrome i.e. bumpers, grill etc and then some other various bits and pieces 

1240501_10151837629305937_1915574904_n_z

1236701_10151840004665937_1033343547_n_z

1174742_10151807873825937_1673182830_n_z

531131_10151807874675937_644023570_n_zps

1151068_10151811878665937_825525309_n_zp

1175430_10151807875280937_1373460599_n_z

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

i would guess 2-2.5k

the 998 makes it a good car for a young driver but the suspension , brake , exhaust and wheel mods might make insurance difficult

it's really stuck between 2 markets

#3 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Well if its that low no point me selling it then...

Was hopping it would be more like 3.250 - 3500 ish as seen some real rubbish appear to sell for around 2k

Is the the fact it doesn't have a big engine holding it back?

Insurance was cheap for me paid £570 everything declared aged 20!

Edited by greggy50, 01 February 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#4 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

If it's completely rust free it might make £3000 on a very good day, but I think the £2500 top of Bungles range is closer to its max. It all depends how long you can wait for the right buyer. Looks a nice car.

#5 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

At the end of the day, it's a modified car. And it's a modified car that will inly appeal to a small amount of people. 

If you find the right buyer, I would tend to agree, £2.5k would be it's maximum. The Mini market isn't exactly booming at the moment unfortunately. 

#6 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Fair enough no point me selling it for that amount to be honest owes me nearer 3.5...

Will leave it in the garage for a while then :)

Edited by greggy50, 01 February 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#7 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

You are very very unlikely to make money in buying, modifying and subsequently selling minis, the market is an odd one, lots of ads on ebay for minis in similar conditions for silly prices (£3k+) and sellers expecting that because they have put all this money in it is worth the sum of its parts, sad truth is, they're not and as a result lots of people are thinking that because these cars are listed for this, that must be what its worth and a cycle starts with ever increasing prices and not many selling .

Early cars, specials (original coopers, and 's') and late models are the most sought after, these in original good condition or unrestored originals are worth the most, then comes the middle of the road ones like some special editions like the mini 20,25,30,35,40 etc, these and early 70s cars, then bringing up the back are the late 70's, 80's,90's cars which are worth the least and also often modified, the fact they're not original does take away money as lots of people wont buy a modified one over an original one where they can see the bad areas and work from a known start point.  

Because this is modified, and recently had lots of bodywork done including a respray it could potentially be hiding lots of rust, things like the arches being fillered onto the bodywork and the front wing/panel seams being smoothed etc can mean its hiding things. (not saying they are but its quite common in minis) 

best bet would be advertising it for what you want, include lots and lots of pictures, before any work was done, during the work, showing all the known dodgy areas on minis, and then lots of high quality after pictures. all this should mean you wont put people off by seeing the fillered areas and that its solid under its new shiny paint.

Incidentally everything else looks good, lowish mileage engine and it looks like the mechanicals are in good order so with a little more information about the bodywork side of things you may get lucky towards the summer for £3500 maybe 

#8 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Thanks a lot for the post obviously took a lot of time

Do have pictures of the car in various stage such as this

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

166050_10151057525540937_1054655497_n.jp

I think I will get the headlining done and tidy a few bits and pieces up and get to a few shows over the summer. Not decided if I actually want to sell the car yet as have owned it since 16 (now nearly 22) just thinking whether I should sell my Golf and this and get one nice all rounder depends if I get a decent graduate job after Uni!

I suppose come the summer I could always advertise it and if I don't get what I feel it is worth just keep the thing for a few more years :)

Edited by greggy50, 01 February 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#9 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Definitely wait until late spring/early summer if you are going to sell it, you're much more likely to get nearer ti what you want for it.

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Fair enough no point me selling it for that amount to be honest owes me nearer 3.5...

Will leave it in the garage for a while then :)

a mini is never worth what you have spent on it, it's a hobby and they normally cost you

#11 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

I understand that just wanted a value as said owned car 6 years never got it to make a profit otherwise would have just kept it all standard and boring

At 2.5ish no point me selling it as car is worth more to me than that even if I dony actually use it at the moment think I would rather keep it in storage for a while and just take a small loan to upgrade my golf gti instead

#12 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

I don't think you even get the £2.5k if it needs the headlining and finishing bits doing - little jobs like that can make a massive difference to value. If you don't sell it then it needs to be stored very carefully. If you just park it in a garage (or worse outside) then within a couple of years the rust may well reappear, then there are issues with tyres, brakes, engine etc. take time to store it carefully or it could end up costing a packet when you come to get it back on the road.

#13 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

It is a lovely looking car!

#14 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I don't think you even get the £2.5k if it needs the headlining and finishing bits doing - little jobs like that can make a massive difference to value. If you don't sell it then it needs to be stored very carefully. If you just park it in a garage (or worse outside) then within a couple of years the rust may well reappear, then there are issues with tyres, brakes, engine etc. take time to store it carefully or it could end up costing a packet when you come to get it back on the road.

I would have got the headlining fitted before sale just never got round to dropping it in the trimmers as had it custom made black with orange stiching like my dash center console etc...

But yeah I have a decent garage to store it in which is heated and well ventilated

It will rust again either way though its a mini as soon as you use them it appears to start quite quickly no matter how much you spend on them and waxoil them :( 

Don't have many worries with the engine is sweet as a nut car was sat for four months in the garage over winter charged the battery and started first time then went and passed the mot first time as well! 

Either way I will keep it as said no point me selling it for that sort of figure :)

#15 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

If you have kept it this long and also if you have just spent all that money on it then dont sell it! you will regret it im sure, 

Save up a little and get a daily, I have done that for driving the 200 miles a week I do for uni, and the mini is for the weekend, sure its costing me money and stopping me from spending as much on the mini but when I get back in after a week of driving the daily its just like the first drive in the mini again, so much fun and my love for the little car is stronger than ever. 

So hell, dont sell it if you dont have to! I dont plan to sell mine anytime soon personally 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users