#16 Moggyton

Moggyton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Local Club: Stone mini club

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Anything can affect your insurance, it just depends on your insurer. Even taking the rear seats out can increase it.

Ive been comparing today, one company refused to insure when they heard 'no rear seats' but were happy up until then with the rollcage and engine mods

Yeah its silly really, but as previously said by declaring no rear seats they assume this means your car is going to be driven faster and more like a "race car"

#17 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Can anyone tell me why a steering wheel will affect the insurance?

Insurance premiums are also calculated on perceived risk, based on statistical data from previous claims. If the data shows that a significant amount of claims involve cars with an aftermarket steering wheel, then insurers will deem that you are more likely to make a claim if you have one fitted. The problem with aftermarket steering wheels is that they tend to be a particularly popular mod with young drivers, and young drivers statistically have more collisions and therefore make more claims.

#18 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Anything can affect your insurance, it just depends on your insurer. Even taking the rear seats out can increase it.

Ive been comparing today, one company refused to insure when they heard 'no rear seats' but were happy up until then with the rollcage and engine mods

Even though with a roll cage you can't fit anyone on the rear seats anyway! Unless they were somewhat shortened and has a wonky head.

#19 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

it would be very interesting to see what would happen in the event if an incident with no rear seats. I struggle to see how removing them on a mini is a modification since they just lift out, that's almost like saying the cigarette lighter was gone so you're not covered. My cars been running around with just 2 front seats for the last few weeks as the rest of the interior is being retrimmed but I certainly wouldnt say its been modded!

Edited by robminibcy, 05 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#20 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Wow! I've certainly learnt a lot about insurance. Thanks for all your input.

I didn't think a steering wheel would have that much effect! I only wanted it as it has funky colours!

Edited by Will16, 05 February 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#21 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Alloy wheels reduced the price of my insurance!

Same here, weirdly brought my premium down by £9...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users