• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MiniGrin

MiniGrin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Local Club: Loud 'N' Lairy MOC (Sheffield)

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Im writing a review of the two garages in Bradwell, Derbyshire.
As some of you may know my 97 mpi had a new gearbox fitted here, both garages work together and it has had work done at both on this job. Garage names are "White Heart Garage, Bradwell" AKA "P.B Harrison Mechanical Engineer" and the other garage he work together with is "Dale End Test Centre"

It went to the garage after breaking down on me and being towed back by the RAC. I left it at the garage and told the mechanic/owner to fix it. It turned out to be the driveshaft's and gearbox needing replacing. I then left it with him to fix, 1 month later I ring them up to ask what's taking so long, he says he has not started it yet but will do on the following Monday. Another month passes, I call round on them to be told, no we still haven't started, we will do on Monday for definite. I then went around every Friday for the next month and got the same sort of answer, on one occasion I was told "no ive not started it", when asked why haven't you, I got the response of "I just haven't" and he then got into his car and drove off leaving me stood in his yard. at the 3 month 2 week mark they finally after much persistent nagging started work.... but had taken it to the other garage in the village, realised he had no engine lifting equipment (id have thought basic kit for a garage) and so then had to take it back down. A week later the engine came out, it was then left outside for a day in the rain before being taken out to the gearbox restorers who had to tell the garage to change the oil filter as it will have bits of sharp metal in it that could damage the engine.

I went around to the garage a few days later to find the bonnet left open, doors unlocked, and dirty parts on my seats, I had to go home, get my spare keys to secure the car and stop the wind taking my bonnet off. This had also left electrics exposed.
after another 2 weeks I call round to be told it will be ready on the following Monday or Tuesday, it was on the Thursday I got it back.
4 months and a bit after it first went there, I have spoken to other garages and mechanics, all are saying it should take 2 weeks tops and cost around £1,000 - £1,500. He charged near as makes no difference £2,000. 

This is not the end of my issues, he has chipped the paint off of my bonnet, scuffed my new wheels, allowed the inside to get deep in water, damaged my dashboard, moulding of carpets and seats, rusting of body and floor, I have found a major misfire on the engine now, an erratic idle and one side of the suspension is sitting lower than the other. Finally badly corroded brakes that he had the cheek to point out and recommend I replace, they were brand new when it went in. No doubt some other issues I have forgotten about / are yet to find.

So to summarise, he has taken a huge and unnecessary amount of time to do a less than average job, damaged my car, allowed it to deteriorate, and overcharged, oh and have not heard of the term "customer service".
I would recommend avoiding these jokers at all cost.
James.

Edited by sonikk4, 08 February 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#2 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I would not be paying the bill until I was happy. I sense a trip to the small claims court coming on. Bad news mate.

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I would suggest you get some legal advice mate!

#4 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

I would suggest you get some legal advice mate!

+1 on that

#5 MiniGrin

MiniGrin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Local Club: Loud 'N' Lairy MOC (Sheffield)

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Im going around there on Monday or Friday depending on how sharply I get away from work, im gunna talk him down on the price, or at least try to. I don't have the money for legal help, and don't want any trips to court, I may get some money back, but for all the bother and possible extra cost its probably not worth it. Just putting this up to ward off other local mini owners from them. :)

Edited by MiniGrin, 08 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#6 SecretSugar

SecretSugar

Sweet!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I agree with the aboves. Time to show them who's boss. 

#7 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Don't take the car, and don't take any money!

Tell him you're going to use the 2 grand to fix all the damage he's done!

#8 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Im going around there on Monday or Friday depending on how sharply I get away from work, im gunna talk him down on the price, or at least try to. I don't have the money for legal help, and don't want any trips to court, I may get some money back, but for all the bother and possible extra cost its probably not worth it. Just putting this up to ward off other local mini owners from them. :)

Before you go to see him go and have a chat with your local Citizens Advice Bureau and explain all that happened. It'll cost you nothing except your time. They are used to this sort of problem and will tell you how to go about getting a fair compensation.

#9 darekforest

darekforest

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

After reading this story im more than sure that it was right choice to take my Mini back to Poland to rebuild engine and shell.The one and only one place in UK where I left my Mini for minor rpairs is Tyre and Tech in Lincoln.

Edited by darekforest, 09 February 2014 - 07:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users