#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

"With all the recent Mini thefts we thought a simple, no-contract-required GPS tracking device was a must. We have been testing our device over the last year to ensure this product is as reliable as possible."
http://minivation.ne...ct/gps-tracker/

#2 joe9o

joe9o

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

Most car thieves are always one step ahead of the game will just use a GPS Jammer. Best thing is leaving a big angry dog inside your car.

#3 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

Excellent idea, and low cost, useful to fit this with a range of other anti theft devices. Anything to slow the b*&^%$s down. Thanks for posting

#4 Classic1275cc

Classic1275cc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: south lincs mini club

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

mmmmmm I have one of them, pretty generic and available everywhere and kind of really low quality but there could be a number of manufactures? I spoke to sky tag at bingly thing year and although its a subscription type deal there show promos where pretty epic

http://skytag-gps.co.uk/

though cant speak for there servis because i didn’t subscribe :L

#5 Minivation

Minivation

Learner Driver

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Rebels

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

Hi all, we've had a few people compare our tracker kit to what is available on eBay. The tracker unit is the same but that's where the similarity stops. We've put together a graphic to show the differences. 
Our tracker kit is specifically aimed at people with little or no technical knowledge OR people who don't have the time to go round eBay sourcing all the components. 

For more information please have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page or get in touch!

comparison-s.jpg

#6 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Still need to have ongoing costs and doesn't take long to break a mini for parts (I've seen a full car stripped in 20mins) - removing the GPS device.

I've got something in the pipeline that does away with these 2 pitfalls.

#7 markosparko1994

markosparko1994

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Still need to have ongoing costs and doesn't take long to break a mini for parts (I've seen a full car stripped in 20mins) - removing the GPS device.

I've got something in the pipeline that does away with these 2 pitfalls.

you've seen a whole car stripped in 20 minutes?

I wish I could work on my car that fast...

#8 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

Yup, quite a few. I'm sure as well that you could locate a gps device on a Mini within 5 minutes and disable / remove it.

#9 90BHP

90BHP

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Local Club: Back Street Minis

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

especially if its wired staight to the battery - not exactly brain surgery to spot that... Surely much better to take a 12V unswitched positive from the loom / fusebox for a less obvious connection ?

#10 jrajpra

jrajpra

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

curious about the SIM card... to my knowledge SIM cards become inactive if a call is not received or placed in any 180-day period. Is this true with the Sainsburys SIM cards? And if so, is your solution to remove the SIM every 6months?

#11 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

curious about the SIM card... to my knowledge SIM cards become inactive if a call is not received or placed in any 180-day period. Is this true with the Sainsburys SIM cards? And if so, is your solution to remove the SIM every 6months?

I think if you werw really concerned about security then you could work out a solution  :-)

Actually I've got one of these trackers - I bought a load of them from Thailand - you can use them as a bug by sending them an SMS, therefore you can get them to make and receive calls.... simple really.

My version uses a simple standard mini USB charger....oh and I got a waterproof pouch with mine, I won't tell you what I paid as this is the paid adverts bit.....

Wait...oh no it's not, but I still won't tell you as the guy is trying to make a living :-)

#12 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

"With all the recent Mini thefts we thought a simple, no-contract-required GPS tracking device was a must. We have been testing our device over the last year to ensure this product is as reliable as possible."

I like the idea of being able to send a text message to the car and it disabling the engine in some way. Then if it gets stolen I could send the message and go and get it straight away.

Paul.

Edited by PaulColeman, 27 May 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#13 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

I think they do stop working after a certain time. Just track it once a month to keep it activated.

#14 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

I like the idea of being able to send a text message to the car and it disabling the engine in some way. Then if it gets stolen I could send the message and go and get it straight away.

Paul.

Only one problem - with the way the UK has become so wet and pathetic, if you stopped the engine and caused the thief to gt injured, I bet you a quid you could get sued :-)

#15 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Paul.

There are trackers available that do this, i fitted one at christmas and they are very reasonably priced on popular online shops. i wont post a link here as minivation probably wont appreciate it and i completally see why people would go for theirs, If they offered the one with additional features as well im sure it would be very popluar especially if supplied with a decent manual not written in chinglish!.

Edited by robminibcy, 30 May 2014 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users