#16 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

"With all the recent Mini thefts we thought a simple, no-contract-required GPS tracking device was a must. We have been testing our device over the last year to ensure this product is as reliable as possible."

I like the idea of being able to send a text message to the car and it disabling the engine in some way. Then if it gets stolen I could send the message and go and get it straight away.

Paul.

There are trackers available that do this, i fitted one at christmas and they are very reasonably priced on popular online shops. i wont post a link here as minivation probably wont appreciate it and i completally see why people would go for theirs, If they offered the one with additional features as well im sure it would be very popluar especially if supplied with a decent manual not written in chinglish!.

Iyaa the one they offer is a pretty good quality unit - I bought a few when I was working in Thailand and they're easy to set up and get running.

#17 miniman andy

miniman andy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: Tamworth Mini Maniacs

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

to be fair i dont see whats wrong with a good battery cut off switch and a indipendant gps most gps's will show you the last seen location of the powered device so as soon as its stripped and battery removed it still shows you where it was done.
and then its only a case of the cops raiding the location of where it was last in one piece asap,
even if the battery is disconnected the indipendant battery would still show you where it is if it got moved in say a brian james race shuttle.

also one reason to have wider wheels and arches, makes it impossable to get into a back of a van.
i have also know a device that is basically a 50cm spike installed under the floor to prevent any car being dragged on a recovery truck without the ignition on that is activated via a tilt sencer

also another idea i have a reversing camera on the back my Bora but i do plan on adding image recording equimpment something that you can use all the time for monitoring what comes up and down the street, more affective in a cul-de-sack

#18 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

to be fair i dont see whats wrong with a good battery cut off switch and a indipendant gps most gps's will show you the last seen location of the powered device so as soon as its stripped and battery removed it still shows you where it was done.
and then its only a case of the cops raiding the location of where it was last in one piece asap,
even if the battery is disconnected the indipendant battery would still show you where it is if it got moved in say a brian james race shuttle.

also one reason to have wider wheels and arches, makes it impossable to get into a back of a van.
i have also know a device that is basically a 50cm spike installed under the floor to prevent any car being dragged on a recovery truck without the ignition on that is activated via a tilt sencer

also another idea i have a reversing camera on the back my Bora but i do plan on adding image recording equimpment something that you can use all the time for monitoring what comes up and down the street, more affective in a cul-de-sack

Much easier to just move somewhere where your possessions are safe :-)

I did 5 years ago, I can leave the keys in my ZX10 outside the house overnight and in the morning the fuel has been topped up :-)

#19 Ellie

Ellie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

My dad does something similar, he buys a cheap phone and hides it somewhere. That way if you ever need the phone on an emergency.
I think you have to ring the number every so often to keep the sim active.

#20 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Local Club: a's of herts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

just saved £100 on my insurance by using one of these things  :gimme:

#21 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

My insurance is about £100 ;D , but I appreciate what you mean.

#22 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Cool, I've recently bought dash cams for mine, this is next on my list to purchase

#23 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Best £47 you could spend?
http://minivation.ne...ct/gps-tracker/

#24 Ellie

Ellie