6 replies to this topic

#1 smalbutsweet

smalbutsweet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hi, does anybody know if you can buy wheels that are 8J/12. and if so where?

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

i dont think you will find any road tyres for 8 inch wide :proud:

#3 smalbutsweet

smalbutsweet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

Well thats just great, ive just had a kit fitted to the car and the guy that fitted said i would get away with extended studs so i could still use my 12`s, the front looks okay but the rear, well!!! my wheels have dissapeared....what do i do now??? i`m skint..

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

what kit have you had fitted? Is it like a Fortec or something? You got any piccies of how far in the wheels currently sit?

As Bungle has said, in a 12" tyre I think you will struggle to find something to cover an 8" wide rim. You may stand a better chance on 13" wheels. Either way, you need to be thinking about how much stress you will be putting on your hub bearings etc. with wheels sticking out that far.

One option for the rear (I have recently heard about this) is using Metro radius arms on the mini, I have no personal experience of this, but I believe they have different geometry to the mini ones and can be used to make the wheels 'stick out' further. If the radius arm pushes the hub out further, you may get away with using a standard 5" or 6" x 12" wheel and not putting any major strain on the hub/bearing. This is something that the VTEC engine conversion boys may know more about.

#5 smalbutsweet

smalbutsweet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

The kit was an MTEC from ABS... nice kit. not too in your face ( will upload a pic asap). i`m chuffed with it but get that awful feeling of people looking and thinking omg look at the wheels.. spoilt it for me really. :'(

#6 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

One option for the rear (I have recently heard about this) is using Metro radius arms on the mini, I have no personal experience of this, but I believe they have different geometry to the mini ones and can be used to make the wheels 'stick out' further. If the radius arm pushes the hub out further, you may get away with using a standard 5" or 6" x 12" wheel and not putting any major strain on the hub/bearing. This is something that the VTEC engine conversion boys may know more about.

This is definately possible - My mate was thinking of a fortec kit years ago and I remember speaking to a guy with a fortec mini at mini in the park around '99 - so its definately not a new idea. Can't remember exactly how to do it (it was around 7 years ago) but it definately involved metro arms and spacers to make them fit the mini subframe.

#7 smalbutsweet

smalbutsweet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

Many thanks for the info guys, so nice to come on here in a panic and find some answers your looking for..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users