Photo

The Trs Ltd Targa Rally. Woodbridge, Sunday 30Th March.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

The next Chelmsford Motor Club big event is the TRS Ltd Targa Rally at Woodbridge on Sunday 30th March. 

Regulations will be on the CMC website early next week and entry list will open as soon as the MSA permit is finalised. 
www.chelmsfordmc.co.uk

I am the Chief Marshal for this so if you're not competing or want to find out about motorsport, why not volunteer to marshal and be an active part of it? For more info visit the TRS Ltd Woodbridge Targa Marshals group on FB https://www.facebook...42041125899264/

#2 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

Chelmsford MC is proud to announce the running of the TRS Ltd Woodbridge Targa Rally on Sunday 30th March. This event is the first of the 2014 series.
As a marshal you will play a key role on this event as your observational skills can decide the results.

The club relies on their loyal bunch of marshals, both CMC and other friend club’s members, for a smooth running on the event. I would also welcome inexperienced newcomers looking forward to start volunteering in motor-sport.

The test designs are still being finalised but an approximate number of around 40 marshals will be needed, the more the merrier. Start and Finish marshals with experience with clocks are needed but don’t worry if you have never done it before, if you are new to marshalling we will always pair you with someone experienced and there are always different roles to fulfil.

Marshals signing on will  open from 7.30am until 8.30am and the first competitor is expected to start Test 1 at 9.30am. The event is expected to finish around 5pm.

If you are able to help on the day you will receive a voucher for a free lunch, including hot drink, from the catering van and you will also be entered in the Marshal´s Draw.

I have also spoken to the ‘One up there’ and he has guaranteed decent weather for the day...

Marshal’s registration is now open on the CMC website http://chelmsfordmc....o?reset=1&id=39 Please register your name and we will shortly be in touch.

We are looking forward to seeing you on the 30th March for a fun day of motor-sport.

Thanks in advance. Kindest Regards.

Luis Diaz

TRS Ltd Woodbridge Targa Chief Marshal

#3 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Luis asked me to help marshal at this event march 2013 and i thought ide give it ago to see what the whole event was about. Luis was taking part so it was also an opportunity for me to get some photos of him and everyone else.

The Chelmsford motor club guys are great people, everyone is so friendly and welcoming and they really appreciate the marshals for helping out and show this appreciation throughout the day.

For anyone who isnt sure what this event is all about, here are the photos i took last year at the same location..

After marshalling at the event i wanted to take part myself, so i entered the November Targa Rally at Woodbridge and these are the photos of me at that event.

https://www.facebook...=1&l=96ac404b58

I will be taking part is this event myself again.

Please also bere in mind that due to it taking place on MoD land, there can be no spectators so marchaling or taking part is the only way to see the action.

#4 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

The entry list can be seen here - http://chelmsfordmc....4/EntryList.php

Currently at 36 Entires.

5 being minis and they are in my class! some competition for me which should make things fun.

Last time i finished 23rd out of the remaining 56. (13 cars retired with issues)

Final timings for last years event can be found here (Including car information) - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#5 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

The event now has 77 Entries which is close, if not the maximum amount of people they are allowed.

Marshalls are still needed so if your interested in volunteering as a marshal then please view the Facebook group for more information or the Chelmsford Motor Club website to sign up

Thanks

Jack

#6 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

75 is the maximum number, first paid first served.

Now that the Mini is running great I kind of regret having offered to be Chief Marshal. Still looking forward to a great day of motor sport.

Marshals please, get involved!!!

Contact me on the links above or directly at targamarshal@chelmsfordmc,co.uk

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

I am going to make motorsport history on this event (I think). I'm going to navigate for David Lobb. I rallied with his Grandfather exactly 50 years ago and did my first International rally with him, won my first National, did my first 'paid' drive with him on the '66 Monte and go my first international top 10 finish with him (1965 Gulf London).

Then I navigated for his son Geoff in an Opel Kadett Coupe in the mid-'70's and we got some good results.

So now I'm to navigate a third generation of Lobbs in a Vauxhall.

I think this is a record. For me it will be special as David has his Grandad's old registration number, ATL7 and his Grandad passed away in 1979 after suffering from Multiple Sclerosis for 13 years and David never even met him. But at least I can tell him a bit about him as I was one of his closest friends.

So I'll see some of my friends from on here at the event.

#8 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

I am going to make motorsport history on this event (I think). I'm going to navigate for David Lobb. I rallied with his Grandfather exactly 50 years ago and did my first International rally with him, won my first National, did my first 'paid' drive with him on the '66 Monte and go my first international top 10 finish with him (1965 Gulf London).

Then I navigated for his son Geoff in an Opel Kadett Coupe in the mid-'70's and we got some good results.

So now I'm to navigate a third generation of Lobbs in a Vauxhall.

I think this is a record. For me it will be special as David has his Grandad's old registration number, ATL7 and his Grandad passed away in 1979 after suffering from Multiple Sclerosis for 13 years and David never even met him. But at least I can tell him a bit about him as I was one of his closest friends.

So I'll see some of my friends from on here at the event.

See you there cooperman!

#9 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

that's brilliant news! looking forward to seeing you around, I hope to find some time for a chat...

that's just the publicity stunt I needed too... no spectators allowed at venue, the only way to see Mr Valentine back at the maps is by registering as a marshal!!!  ;D

#10 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

74 paid entries and 6 more showing as pending, it looks like it'll be a sold out. Only 75 will be playing!

Despite a great entry, the 'non-compulsory' marshal nomination hasn't proved very successful so another baulk email will go out on Wednesday night or Thursday.

I've been allowed to give some info. There'll be a total of 12 tests, 6 in the morning and 6 after lunch. For double drives the first driver will do the six morning tests first before swapping seats. Second driver will do all 6 afternoon tests first. Mileage will be pretty even in the morning and afternoon. 

As you know Woodbridge is a non-spectator venue so if you want to show off in front of your friends get them to register as marshals here 
http://chelmsfordmc....?reset=1&id=...

Lunch is on me and a marshal draw with three cash prizes of £50, £25 and £25. 

no marshals, no motor sport!!!!

#11 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

It's all over now. A great day of motor sport was had. Minis all around and a fantastic atmosphere. It was a pleasure, and an honour, to have made Cooperman go back home after the event with a big smile...

The weeks leading to the event, from a Chief Marshal point of view by reading the following:

OK, here I go...

First, the figures: 
- a total of 149 emails are recorded on the 'targamarshal' account, that includes messages in and out, purely used for marshals registration and sending info out
- a total of 144 emails on my personal email to communicate with organising team (JC, DT, TM, PD and DJ)

That makes almost 300 emails on the run to the event!

At the beginning of the year John Conboy told me he would be CofC for the March Targa... hmm I better find a navigator then, I thought. He then went on to tell me that he was looking for a Chief Marshal to join the team; having had a sick Mini during the Christmas period I was feeling very vulnerable and he managed to convince me to take the job.

It's basically a 'sending emails out' job they said. Since I spend most of my spare time during the week in front of the computer reading forums and watching YouTube videos I thought I could do it.

I must admit the response from marshals was great from the beginning. I guess this is all down to the fantastic events put on by previous organisers, if the marshals feel welcome and valued they will come back for more. 

As per the figures above there were endless sequences of emails with John, Dave, Paul and Tony to confirm that everything was going in the right direction. I can't imagine how many hours Dave Thompson must have spent dealing with paperwork. Diagrams, road books, MSA... I'm sure John will agree with me on this, he is the real man behind the event.

So with the date getting closer I started feeling more nervous, even more when I saw how quick the entry list filled in and the quality of it... What if I fail to deliver and let everyone down?!?

Marshal numbers were looking good and even last week some more registered so confidence built up. Instructions sent and against the clock to collect marshal's vehicle details...

We made it to the hotel at around 4ish on Saturday, met with JC on his way back from setting up and got the marshal's pack from him. Time for a walk around the Ipswich Marina (beautiful!) and back to the hotel early. A well deserved pint of amber nectar and Valentina was introduced to the Nicholls and the Endeans. A quick chat with Barney, top man, and Lee and Ben. Had a OK dinner and another couple of drinks, an even quicker chat with Andy and went up to the room... that's what you get when you're looking after a 9 month old creature!

Slept well but didn't feel it was long. At 6.15 I was leaving the hotel Woodbridge bound. It was then when I really started panicking. Met with Lucy Fryer, more about her later, and went on to the caravan. First marshals arriving and sent to their positions, they seemed happy with their meal vouchers and smiles all around. A couple of last minute changes but was happy that almost everyone had turned up...

Remember what I said about changing the clocks? There's always one! I got a phone call from Paul Richards at 8.53 saying he was at the gate... I know there's a 20mph limit but drove the Mini quickly to the gate and, after getting his sign on sheet, took him to position on Test 3. My job (at least for the morning) was done, I felt good when Paul Dumbill came back from Opening duties and told me everything look good. 

Time to relax and spend some time with Sofia and the little one. I watch a bit of Test 3 with them from the gate back to the paddock area and, must admit, felt a bit jealous. There's something special about seeing road cars being thrown around corners legally. Everyone coming back from the tests was doing it with huge smiles... all looking good, I thought.

It was then my turn to get in the Mini and drive around collecting check sheets. The tests were brilliant, they felt so quick and rather smooth. No pressure for a result or the possibility of wrong tests... oh god, I enjoyed that! I was very pleased to see and hear Lucy giggling all the way. Marshals were enjoying it and was quite surprised to see so many wrong tests, hit cones and wrong directions! I thought the tests felt very quick and I enquired about top competitors beating bogey times. In the morning Owen was 20 secs behind the bogey, fantastic I thought...

We were a bit short in numbers for the afternoon tests so I am very grateful to those that volunteered, or got pushed into, covering some points. After some moments of panic, Paul came back of his round saying everything looked good. That was, basically, the last thing I had to do other than driving around again. All over now!

I felt a bit down when the top crews started arriving from the first loop of afternoon tests. Beating bogey times is not what you want from an organiser's point of view. Most competitors were still coming back from their tests with big smiles but I wasn't sure on how the top ones, the ones beating bogie times, were feeling. Not everyone hanging around for the awards made me think the worst...

By now it has taken me almost over two hours to write this, two glasses of wine and dinner is ready so I better cut it shortly.

It was a great experience being part of the organising team. Big thanks to the rest of the team, the greatest one to Dave Thompson for everything he has done, he is the real unsung hero. John for his support and believing in me, Paul for all his work also behind the curtains, Tony M and Tony B. and the other test commanders for your patience and understanding, to all the marshals, loads and cheerful, and as mentioned by Lee very very observant!!

The biggest personal THANKS go to Lucy Fryer. An excellent and very able person. Without any experience at chief marshal she dealt with all the small issues that arose during the day, navigated me brilliantly and made me smile with her very pleasant personality. The best thing is that, despite my company, she even enjoyed herself! Note for CMC, keep her on board and look after her as she may become a fantastic Chief Marshal for future events.

Thanks to all of you for making yesterday the best day so far in my short Motor Sport life.

Luis -TRS Ltd Woodbridge Targa Chief Marshal- 

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

From me it's a big thank you to all the organisers for making it such a great day out and super competition.

My own satisfaction was in navigating the 3rd generation of the same family, which I think is a 'first' in rallying anywhere.

The tests were fantastic. well laid out and the marshals were all superb.

Well done to Chelmsford Motor Club. Good to see so many Minis out competing. One had to retire due to knocking from the engine. I think it was because it didn't have a centre oil pick-up as that is virtually essential for rallying.

#13 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

From me it's a big thank you to all the organisers for making it such a great day out and super competition.

My own satisfaction was in navigating the 3rd generation of the same family, which I think is a 'first' in rallying anywhere.

Well done to Chelmsford Motor Club. Good to see so many Minis out competing. One had to retire due to knocking from the engine. I think it was because it didn't have a centre oil pick-up as that is virtually essential for rallying.

Nice to speak to you in the morning and hearing how you managed to break a xpin diff! 

The day was superb.

I spoke to the lad with the blue mini and he said it was getting very hot during the day and they were also double driving so i can only assume the oil was getting really hot and like you say, the lack of central oil pickup..

My oil pressure had dropped down to about 25psi after tests 4,5 and 6. My car was also running 5 degrees too advance all day due to ECU issues which may not have helped.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Nice to speak to you in the morning and hearing how you managed to break a xpin diff! 

The day was superb.

I spoke to the lad with the blue mini and he said it was getting very hot during the day and they were also double driving so i can only assume the oil was getting really hot and like you say, the lack of central oil pickup..

My oil pressure had dropped down to about 25psi after tests 4,5 and 6. My car was also running 5 degrees too advance all day due to ECU issues which may not have helped.

Good to meet you.

Yes, the blue car had, I'm sure, oil surge and the hot and thin oil won't have helped. He said he was running a 10w40 which would have made it worse.

I recommended Valvoline VR1 20w50 for all competition applications in a Mini plus a centre oil pick up. It can be wise to slightly over-fill the sump and running about 1/8" above maximum at the start of an event won't do any harm and can help reduce sure and oil thinning.

A good day out though.

#15 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

The day was superb.

Good to meet you.

Yes, the blue car had, I'm sure, oil surge and the hot and thin oil won't have helped. He said he was running a 10w40 which would have made it worse.

I recommended Valvoline VR1 20w50 for all competition applications in a Mini plus a centre oil pick up. It can be wise to slightly over-fill the sump and running about 1/8" above maximum at the start of an event won't do any harm and can help reduce sure and oil thinning.

A good day out though.

With "1L of 5w40 to top it up" and that's a quote from him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users