54 replies to this topic

#16 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

Why not let the paying public decide with a vote?
That way it’s what the people think who were there on the day.

Although I also agree with Miniliz

As already mentioned, I personally go to Mini shows to see Minis and actually find that sometimes lots of display props (however good they are and however much work has gone into them!) can spoil the views of the Minis I go to see. I certainly don't take as many pictures if clubs have themed clubstands.

#17 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

i think one of the most fun mini shows is the north devon mini regesters show

every car is in the show and everyone does the judging :w00t:

#18 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

I agree with this too

As already mentioned, I personally go to Mini shows to see Minis and actually find that sometimes lots of display props (however good they are and however much work has gone into them!) can spoil the views of the Minis I go to see. I certainly don't take as many pictures if clubs have themed clubstands.

I would much rather see the cars for what they are, mine is by no means the most spectacular or pristine Mini by any stretch of the imaginatgion but I much prefer the public to be able to see it rather than it being covered in cheap tac!!! :w00t:

Dan

#19 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

Well I think those that went to the show and were annoyed by the bloke on the tannoy should all voice their opinions and complain, maybe someone should have rammed it down his throat on the day too? :w00t:

But yes I know what it's like to lose after you've put a fair bit of effort in to a club stand and the winners have done bugger all as it happened at Mini In The Park back in 2002 and the stupid thing is the club I was with who did an "Austin Powers" theme, even got loads of photos in the mag, but didn't win a thing for their troubles! >:w00t:

#20 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:52 PM

Well I think those that went to the show and were annoyed by the bloke on the tannoy should all voice their opinions and complain, maybe someone should have rammed it down his throat on the day too? :w00t:

That fella was very annoying, thankfully we were far enough away from the tannoy to ignore it if we wanted, it seemed that he didnt really know alot about Minis so just padded with lots of inane dribble! :w00t:

#21 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

If he didn't know much about Mini's A) What the hell was he doing there B ) Why was he on the tannoy C) Why didn't he end up in casualty with the thing stuck down his throat! :w00t:

#22 Miniliz

Miniliz

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

I think he was employed by the museum, rather than getting a Mini enthusiast :w00t:
At least at BMC events Mr Hollis knows about Minis even if the tannoy is on all day!!
Maybe clubs should let the Museum know that he wasn't appreciated?
He picke don me in the crowd during the judging as well, and when a member of our club won a prize he said it was fixed! He got the biggest cheer!!!! :w00t:

#23 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:18 PM

If people want to dress up and dress their cars up, fine. Personally I go to look at the cars, not a pantomime or fashion parade but, others might enjoy it.

totally agree with the above, themed stands annoy me and drive me away!!!!! let's see your cars!!!!!!

#24 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

If people want to dress up and dress their cars up, fine. Personally I go to look at the cars, not a pantomime or fashion parade but, others might enjoy it.

totally agree with the above, themed stands annoy me and drive me away!!!!! let's see your cars!!!!!!

Yup, I agree too. I can see that the show organisers are trying to think of ways to make it more than just a boring car show, but it takes the emphasis away from the cars! Its also annoying that a lot of shows now won't let a club have a stand unless they've had a themed stand there before, how does that give new(er) clubs the opportunity to get a stand?

I think more events like exhaust sound offs, stereo sound off's, which Mini the judge would most like to take home, Mini with the smiliest face, Mini with the rustiest wings etc, would encourage not only more cars to come to the shows, but also put the emphasis back onto the cars rather than the owners!

#25 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

most people don't realise this, but gaydon recently started doing a Club expo at the end of each year and last year they had a discussion on how they could improve the mini event, so they do care.
unfortunately they are not as familiar with the mini scene as the "clubs" that set up most of the other shows, so they do make mistakes.
i think we should all help them out by sending them our opinions in a respectful and courteous way.
it would be a shame to loose this show as the museum has a lot to offer, who cares if there is only a few trade stands, get inside and get educated.

as for the chap on the tannoy, i agree, he should have been mobbed and kicked off site.

and my opinion on show stands is, the theme of the show is "MINI" nothing more nothing less.
if you are board with this and feel the need to dress up then... Don't play if you cant loose, although
these guys do seem to have got a bad deal on this occasion !!

to register for the club expo or voice your opinions [email protected]

each club who registers should be entitled to two free tickets to the club expo.

#26 seemax

seemax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: MINIHOLICS

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

As my first show actually attending with a Mini, i thought it was pretty good. However I did attend last years show in October ( Without a Mini, it didn't feel the same ). I think they answered last years criticism with the trade stands as last year was like a ghost town come 2pm. Even then, everyone was all huddled together like a group of Eskimo's protecting each other from the bitingly cold wind.
June is a good time to host an event, any event, but with the Bristol show on as well, I think it showed and possibly required more planning.
I visited one trade stand who had virtually nothing on him that he was advertising on the stall ??. Apart from a badge I wanted :w00t: . For those that did attend, I think parts were reasonably priced.

The themed events always raises eyebrows and it's one I feel strongly about, however, as many others have said, it's up to the individual and tastes vary, but I go to these shows to see Mini's and everyone who owns a Mini has their own unique style to how it should look. This alone is a bonus as i can grab so many ideas for my own Mini or future projects that I wish i had ( Lottery Win needed here ). Seeing perfectly good Mini's that have their own unique style dressed up further doesn't stir the emotions that seeing a cracking Mini does. But like i said above, it's everyone's own personal taste.

Although I applaud those that made the effort, they did look very good and I want a set of those blue flashing lights :( , Handy for the odd camera you see :w00t:

And don't start me off about the plank on the tannoy. Should have been shot at birth has just sprung to mind :w00t:

#27 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

....and my opinion on show stands is, the theme of the show is "MINI" nothing more nothing less.

So how come a stand of Elfs (or is it Elves?) and Hornets won.....? :w00t:

#28 seemax

seemax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: MINIHOLICS

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Good Point, but I think that generally, if it wasn't for the mini, these cars would have no existence. They are a mini at heart really !!. :w00t:

Or is that not the case ? :w00t:

#29 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:14 PM

elfs and hornets, pick-ups and vans, clubmans and mokes. their all minis in my opinion :w00t:

#30 Miniliz

Miniliz

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Of course the Elf and the Hornet are Minis!?! :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users