2 replies to this topic

#1 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

hi, recently fitted a sim card type tracker with immobiliser.

should my insurance be made aware as I know when buying I had to select from a list what security features it had (at the time being none!)

Obviously its not monitored by anyone but myself and as a result I wouldn't want to declare it then have the car nicked and the tracker for whatever reason unable to find or stop it and then have the insurance turn round and say its your problem.

#2 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Just a though but my insurance went up when I declared a tracker, this was only quote hunting though

#3 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

I'd say you do need to tell them, partly because it's a term of most policies that you must disclose all material facts. The other issue is that much like fitting an aftermarket alarm, or keeping your car in a garage, fitting a tracker is something that owners tend to do to desirable cars that are at a higher than average risk if being stolen. You'll therefore probably find that according to an insurer, fitting a tracker makes your car statistically more likely to be stolen and therefore you'll need to tell them that one has been fitted. As above, you may even find that your premium goes up as a result of what they consider to be an increased risk of a claim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users