#46 Woolfie 640

Woolfie 640

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Moke club

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

My Mini moke was produced in 1968 and sent to the Barton motor company in Plymouth . The wee car is still going strong just having been driven from Ayr in Scotland to Falmouth forvthe moke national meeting👌

#47 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,043 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

My first new car, in 1964, was a 998 Cooper supplied by Park Garage in Watford.

Then any rally preparation was done by Peter Silva Motors in Lane End, near High Wycombe because Peter became a close friend and I often navigated for him in his 1071 Cooper 'S'.

When BMC 'rationalised' their dealers and Peter lost his Austin dealership, he was approached by Mitsubishi and took on a dealership, opening a second showroom in Burnham Beeches, Slough. I had the pleasure of doing the night-time demonstration driving for the opening using the then-new and very quick Colt Lancer Coupe. I guess that was in about 1976. I sold 3 of them in one evening after a high-speed demo around the local back roads. Great fun.

#48 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

Mine was registered on 18th June 1963 in Carlisle, its reg then was 14 LAO, sadly now lost to a cherished transfer.

Anyone know who the Morris dealers in that area are likely to have been back then?

#49 Bungleaio

Bungleaio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Not in one.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Mine was from Hares in Rustington, quite an apt place name.

They are still going http://www.haresofsussex.co.uk/about.php 

#50 71bay

71bay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

Mine was from F.W.Mays(London) Chiswick W4

Which is now flats and Evans Cycles

Edited by 71bay, 07 August 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#51 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Mine was a new 1982 1000 HL in Cinnabar Red (OOC109X)  from Colliers in Tyseley/Acocks Green , Birmingham. I think they were on the Warwick Road. One of my biggest regrets selling it.

Our Mini 35 came from Colliers Acocks Green. The Rover showroom is now a Japanese car showroom.

Hoping the linky works:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

Sorry Guys don't know what went wrong with my last post so I will try again.

It was my first car and cost £2999, my Granddad gave me £1000 towards it I had saved another £ 1000 myself and had the rest over 12 months. Pretty sure that was the showroom in you're link and I even remember the salesman's name Ken Spare. On the day I went to pick it up (Saturday morning) they had lost the keys to the compound where the car was stored and told me I would have to come back again in the week. I had travelled from Kidderminster and told them they must be having a laugh suffice to say they ended up using a pair of bolt croppers to cut the lock off.     

#52 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

Mine was a new 1982 1000 HL in Cinnabar Red (OOC109X)  from Colliers in Tyseley/Acocks Green , Birmingham. I think they were on the Warwick Road. One of my biggest regrets selling it.

Our Mini 35 came from Colliers Acocks Green. The Rover showroom is now a Japanese car showroom.

Hoping the linky works:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

Sorry Guys don't know what went wrong with my last post so I will try again.

It was my first car and cost £2999, my Granddad gave me £1000 towards it I had saved another £ 1000 myself and had the rest over 12 months. Pretty sure that was the showroom in you're link and I even remember the salesman's name Ken Spare. On the day I went to pick it up (Saturday morning) they had lost the keys to the compound where the car was stored and told me I would have to come back again in the week. I had travelled from Kidderminster and told them they must be having a laugh suffice to say they ended up using a pair of bolt croppers to cut the lock off.     

Where the white vans are parked (further up from the front of the JCB), used to be a petrol station back in the 80's. The compound was just behind, a building now stands on where it was.

Edited by DeanP, 07 August 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#53 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:38 PM

Marn of Hanwell, west London. Now a Nissan dealer I believe.

#54 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

Mine was registered on 18th June 1963 in Carlisle, its reg then was 14 LAO, sadly now lost to a cherished transfer.

Anyone know who the Morris dealers in that area are likely to have been back then?

AO is a Cumberland registration, not Carlisle. Depending on where the first owner lived in Cumberland your car was probably despatched to one of Dias & Co who were in Carlisle or Loxhams in Morecambe or Simpsons in Barrow. It may not have been sold by one of them, it could than have been supplied onward to a smaller dealer.

#55 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:29 PM

AO is a Cumberland registration, not Carlisle. Depending on where the first owner lived in Cumberland your car was probably despatched to one of Dias & Co who were in Carlisle or Loxhams in Morecambe or Simpsons in Barrow. It may not have been sold by one of them, it could than have been supplied onward to a smaller dealer.

Thanks for that, have tried tracing previous owners but got no response so no way of knowing. Just curious!

#56 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for that, have tried tracing previous owners but got no response so no way of knowing. Just curious!

Yeah I did the same with both my cars. The mini I had nothing come back, my old Morris Minor was a different story. I found a lady who owned her in the 1980's and took it to Wales to show her (she was in her late eighties had lots of storys about the car, but bless her, I don't think she recognised it when I drove up in it). Anyway the funny one was an owner in the 1960's, a lady replied who said the person I am looking for is in fact now deceased and would be 120 years old. But the car I was referring to was in fact her first car, bought for her by her late loving husband. The deceased owner was in fact her late husbands father, so the wrong name must have been put on the records. As she herself was in her early nineties, I didn't have the gall to write back and say your husband lied and it was in fact your father in law that partied with the cash lol.I did offer to take it down to Oxford to show her, but she never wrote back.

Everyone I wrote to though did write back, some with fascinating stories of their own lives and how they grew up around all the old cars. Absolutely no reference to the one I own I may add. lol. Old people, you have to love them, the world would be a poorer place without their wisdom. :)

#57 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Yeah I did the same with both my cars. The mini I had nothing come back, my old Morris Minor was a different story. I found a lady who owned her in the 1980's and took it to Wales to show her (she was in her late eighties had lots of storys about the car, but bless her, I don't think she recognised it when I drove up in it). Anyway the funny one was an owner in the 1960's, a lady replied who said the person I am looking for is in fact now deceased and would be 120 years old. But the car I was referring to was in fact her first car, bought for her by her late loving husband. The deceased owner was in fact her late husbands father, so the wrong name must have been put on the records. As she herself was in her early nineties, I didn't have the gall to write back and say your husband lied and it was in fact your father in law that partied with the cash lol.I did offer to take it down to Oxford to show her, but she never wrote back.

Everyone I wrote to though did write back, some with fascinating stories of their own lives and how they grew up around all the old cars. Absolutely no reference to the one I own I may add. lol. Old people, you have to love them, the world would be a poorer place without their wisdom. :)

Fantastic. I wrote to 3 previous owners from log book but heard nothing.I presume either moved, deceased or not interested. Shame!

#58 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

My MPI was sold by Charles Hurst Belfast and serviced there for the first several years of its life. It's still there and is one of the biggest car lots in Europe. There's agencies in it for everything from Aston Martin, Ferrari to Suzuki. Sadly no Rover though.

#59 vitessesteve

vitessesteve

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

I have a couple of dealers directories you may like to view and download.

Austin Rover Dealer Directory March 1988:

AustinRover_March1988.jpg

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Rover Dealer Directory May 1991

Rover%2Bdealer%2Bdirectory%2BMay%2B1991_
:https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I would love to have a copy of an earlier directory from say 1980 can you help.

Edited by vitessesteve, 17 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#60 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,946 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

My first Moke I bought new, I can't lay my hands on the receipt, but I still have the guy's business card from the dealership, the warrenty card and the receipt from the first service, as well as some of the early rego (MOT) papers;-

IllChrLeyBusCard01_zpsffba1b9e.jpg

WarrentyCardcopy_zpsee9085b7.jpg

Complete with mistakes - look at the Invoice Date and the Purchase Date!

FirstServicecopy_zps8886c281.jpg

Mokes are trucks!

Rego1081copy_zps0cd9ffb7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users