2 replies to this topic

#1 Covert

Covert

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

So in the next couple of months when we finally move into our new house ill be looking for a mini project, ideally would like something tax free but they seem to go for alot of money, im after something without a sunroof , can anyone advise me on different models?
Never had a Mini before did they do 5 speed boxes ?
Restoration is not a problem have all the gear and can weld but dont know what i should be looking at ?
Help lol

#2 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

5 speed gearboxes do exist but they cost a lot of money and are rare. As far as I know they were aftermarket units that were fitted. Most were 4 speed gearboxes which were fine and is what I would go for because if they go wrong, getting a replacement or replacement parts will be a lot easier.

If you really do want a 5 speed gearbox I would look at engine converted minis but then be prepared to do the work on it yourself as it will be a one of a kind mini so most garages will not have a clue on how to fix it (most these days don't with minis anyway)

I personally would avoid a sun roof. My mini had one and it kept leaking despite having a new seal fitted.

Go for what ever mini you can afford with the best condition body work. The mechanical and electrical side of minis are fairly easy to fit.

#3 Covert

Covert

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the advice , most appreciate it,
So 4 speed , no sunroof, some people say the metal was better around 1985?
I would like it to be as classic as possible on the outside running 10s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users