11 replies to this topic

#1 Adam the Flatulent

Adam the Flatulent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

when i pulled away today from a booths carpark my mini juttered as if it was out of fuel but it was full felt abit like a cold engine but i had just driven i for about 20 mins and left it in a car park for about 10 mins so it shouldn't have been cold, then after pulling away from a junction it sorted it self out but then i went to wash it and it did it again.i got my revs up so it didnt cut out but i'm not sure whats up. if it helps its n F reg 998. standard everything apart from plug, leads, air filter and distributer. any help would be muchly appreiated

add

(sorry for my spelling, i can't spell to save my lfe (or my minis at that)) :'(

#2 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

i dunno, sounds similar to mine. although my mini wouldn't go any faster than 30MPH when it happened then the engine cut out. found that it was my head gasket had gone.

Yours might be caused by something different so don't go on what i've said. i'm not very good in the engine side of things...

Roo

#3 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Check your spark plugs to check that they are still ok.

#4 Mini Tom

Mini Tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

if the fuel is low in the tank you might be sucking up all the sedement an that from the bottom of the tank which may temporaily blocks the valves giving that juddering.

#5 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:55 PM

I fit just suddenly came on with no real signs, then chances are it's something simple. Check the plugs, check the points gap (if you have them!), check the state of the distributor cap and rotor, fill it up with petrol to eliminate the "sediment" problem.

after that, it becomes a little more involved, but let us know how that goes.

#6 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

could also be a dodgy coil... basically your best bet is to start troubleshooting all of the above.

Al

#7 The Fat Leodensian

The Fat Leodensian

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

First thing i'd check for if mine were doing that would be an air leak. (from personal experience). There are loads of other things that could be causing it, as everyone else will/has said.

Check the hose that goes to the brake servo (if you've got one, my 88 city has). They can leak intermitantly. Mine was juddering and spluttering a couple of weeks back on pulling away and i found it was the servo end of the hose (white plastic plug) was comming out of it's hole. As i pulled away the engine was leaning forward slightly on it's steady and wiggling the hose. A new hose and some new steady bushes sorted it out.
Is it ticking over healthily? air leaks can cause juddery tick over. With the engine running spray some WD40 around the carb to manifold gasket and then the manifold to head. if the engine momentarily picks up rpm then you have a leak. make sure no wd40 goes in the air intake or you'll get a false positive.

But this may be useless as it probobly not the problem.
Any help?
Al

#8 Bigbudders

Bigbudders

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:16 AM

Maybe the needles sticking in the carb????

Maybe needs a bit of oil.

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

if the fuel is low in the tank you might be sucking up all the sedement an that from the bottom of the tank which may temporaily blocks the valves giving that juddering.

This really doesn't happen, for a start the pickup in the tank is right at the bottom, so you'd have to be extremely low on fuel. Secondly, have you seen the size of the fuel pipe? Its tiny! Theres very little chance of anything getting down the fuel pip that could block off your fuel supply.

#10 Mini Tom

Mini Tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

This really doesn't happen, for a start the pickup in the tank is right at the bottom, so you'd have to be extremely low on fuel. Secondly, have you seen the size of the fuel pipe? Its tiny! Theres very little chance of anything getting down the fuel pip that could block off your fuel supply.

fair enough. it was just a thought as it happens in my dads range rover and the symptoms sounded similar

#11 Adam the Flatulent

Adam the Flatulent

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:48 AM

Is it ticking over healthily?

was ticking over a bit low but my dad tweaked it n got it higher. i lose rpm wen it happens fuel is full but oil was a bit low not to bad was just above the min mark so i filled it up not really driven it since. i will check all leads n plugs but there all quite new n really god ones so thet should be fine, will keep you all up do date with it.

cheers for al the advice.

add

#12 ]GoD[Zander

]GoD[Zander

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:26 AM

have a look at the dizzy and that area

0 user(s) are reading this topic