16 replies to this topic

#1 Mini Tom

Mini Tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

hello, after going on the london to brighton run and watching the itallian job this afternoon i decided that my mini sounds absolutley nothing like some minis on L2B and in the itallian job. mine sounds far "deeper" and "bassy" and a lot less "raspy". I was wondering how they acheive that really cool "raspy" sound and what i'd need to do to get that sound.

At the moment i have a '94 spi cooper that has a small bore dtm exhaust. Any ehlp would be grateful.
Cheers

#2 93-rio

93-rio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen mini owners club (AMOC)

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Have you got a twin box system, because mines a straight through and its VERY raspy. Love it even if the cops dont.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

urm single box rc40 is the closest you will get, as its down to spec of engine etc, small bore playmini works too, twin box systems dont give same note

dave

#4 Mini Tom

Mini Tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

i dont think its twin box. it comes down from the manifold into the cat and then into the back box. also would a K&N filter help? (sorry i'm a noob)

#5 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

the filter will give more growl when putting fut down due to air movement

the exhuast note is the one they hear

what car have u got anything done to it?

dave

#6 Mini Tom

Mini Tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

its a '94 spi cooper and the only thing (as far as i'm aware of) is the fact that it has a small bore dtm exhaust.

#7 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

i have a rc40 singl bore exxhaust and it sounds awsome

#8 MaryQuant88

MaryQuant88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

Id say the Cat muffles out the nice noise of an A-Series!, get a de-cat pipe fitted, just after an MOT, or if you have a long MOT, im not sure if your car HAS to have a Cat for the MOT :(

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:55 AM

Getting an LCB helps get that sound and I can vouch for "Maniflow" exhaust products:-

Maniflow Exhausts

#10 *Parker*

*Parker*

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:03 AM

I've got a centre exit Maniflow system on mine and it sounds the DB's.

Not too loud when just cruising, but get it up over 4,000rpm and the noise is tremendous. People certainly know I'm coming.

#11 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

at full trottle my car sounds rather deep and growly. just ot s stock exsaught with a few big hols in the air box.

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:46 AM

As a few people said first before people starting jumping in with 'My exhaust sounds great' :( it does depend a fair bit on the spec. My 1425 had quite a racy cam in it, and with a single box RC40 and LCB it sound incredibly raspy, it wasn't deep at all.

#13 Volf

Volf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Ive got :

The old "pea-shooter" Box
A side exit RC40
A center RC40
A motorbike can
and a yet to be fitted, Twin center DTM box

...No! The're not all fitted at once!

Both the side exit and center RC40s, on my mini, Just make one loud "rasp" noise, althou, the center pipe I have now, is rather loud (Dosnt help with the gap on the down pipes! MOT man asked me as I rolled in "Is this a Mini? Or a Tractor!" Cheeky git!)

The motorbike can, is very loud and very deep. How ever, as much fun as it is, does pose a problem with:

Speedbumps
Police
and Chavs in mummys Saxo's! "You got a flamer kit on it init?" ... :(

As for the twin DTM, I have no idea what its going to sound like, still waiting for my brothers mate to re-weld a hole in the back of it... Sttiilll waiting for a few months now!

^_^

#14 The Fat Leodensian

The Fat Leodensian

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

Ive got :

As for the twin DTM, I have no idea what its going to sound like, still waiting for my brothers mate to re-weld a hole in the back of it... Sttiilll waiting for a few months now!

^_^

Like Thunder mate!!

My twin DTM is ridiculously low down burbly burp at tick over. Than at 1500 to 2k you can feel it in your chest. At 3k+ its horrendous. At 4k+ it sounds like the appocolypse. I DO NOT recomend them to anyone who wants a quite life. The DTM is designed to resonate at low frequency to make your engine sound bigger. You can tell 'because if you shove a metal tin lid over one of the pipes on the back box (like ive done) it sounds more like an RC40. Mine's comming off soon so i can hear me radio at 50mph. Someone with a taste for deafness can buy it off me (it doesn't have a hole in it :( ).

Al

#15 Mini Tom

Mini Tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

cheers for all the advice. i'm now deciding which one is for me or whether to keep mine. Are play mini exhausts any good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users