#31 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hi JonnyAlpha, How are you getting on with the Jotun epoxy. Im thinking of ordering some soon. Their Jotomastic 87, Penguard epoxy primers and No 17 epoxy  thinners are about half the price of the Rustbuster epoxy products I was originally looking at and appear to be the same product. Any progress ?

Stu - sadly I am a little behind, was hoping to have started painting by now but I keep getting delayed, rebuilding my Subframe has put me back but its nearly done and i'll be given that the JOTUN treatment as well.

All the advice I have is that its good kit, are you thinking of getting the 87 and the Penguard? Have a look on the Mig Welding Forum, my thread is here   

#32 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

I took my boot floor and arches back to metal, treated any surface rust then painted with por15.
When the paint had dried I scuffed it with 80 grit, masked off where the subframe mounts go, gravitexed the lot then painted it.

Ahh just noticed this thread is from a while back, I'll shut up.

No worries, all good pointers. 

#33 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

I was thinking of using 87 underside and Penguard as a topside primer. How are you spraying it on ? If so what mask will you use. Im now having second thoughts about using epoxy. I know the datasheets say you can use a filter mask but I'm still unsure. As an alternative im considering using Bonda Prime + zinc.

#34 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Yeh 87 is excellent for underbody but not really suitable for bodywork where you want an excellent finish.

I was going to brush or roller it on the underside for which you only need a Charcoal Mask (double check first) I did a thread somewhere on it I'll dig it out later (on my phone).

For spraying in a well ventilated area I think the SDS states A2 P2 mask, I bought a 3M 7500 Half Mask with and ABEK1 and P3 Filter which is a higher rating but still needs to be in a well ventilated are (probably outside).

Now I researched a bit more on spray painting, unless I tip my Mini over on its side I am not going to have enough room to use a spray gun?

#35 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

This epoxy primer is basically same product as pen guard and clearly states filter type mask suitable for home spraying. Main thing is to make sure mask fits correctly and you change them at required intervals, also store them when not being used in an airtight container.
I have an airfed mask as I use isocyanate paints but would use my filter mask with epoxy mainly to give the compressor an easier time.

http://www.rust.co.u...ng-body-primer/

#36 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

It also states that an airfed mask should be considered / used in an enclosed space .... like a garage. If Im honest Id rather brush on something from a tin and let the car rot away than than take the risk. Im just not convinced, although I can be way over cautious sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users