17 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Lots of talk of a new motor racing circuit and 'centre of excellence' to be built in Wales.  Well, do we actually need a new circuit in the UK?

Think how much better/cheaper and more profitable it would be if the Welsh authorities got together to agree a road circuit where you could just turn up, pay the fee and go for a blast.  In other words, a 'Ring'.   It wouldn't have to be as long as the Nurburgring, even a five mile circuit on public roads would probably be sufficiently demanding.  By my reckoning, it would bring millions in tourist money to any region which were to do this.  Even more importantly, the tourism from riders and drivers would come through much of the year - unlike a motor circuit which attracts visitors over a few days.

Seems simple and so obvious.  Just wish I could see it happening.

Bob

#2 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Well, it won't unless everyone sends the message to the Government that we want public roads closed for motorsport uses now. The consultation for this is about to end, & the MSA has made a final appeal in the latest newsletter for anyone that hasn't done so to send in an e-mail with their prepared questions & answers in it. If you don't get them the newsletter is here;

http://issuu.com/msa...6613824/7439269

Having said that, I don't think a permanent road circuit on public roads (if that's what I think your suggesting?) would be a goer, as I guess the residents along them would have some objections...!!

If Circuit of Wales does get built, I can see it having quite a few trackdays every year....

Keith

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,421 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Don't think you could build a ring road for Barry.

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Not sure it's such a good idea....i'm welsh and why would i want to have my town or village isolated for days at a time while the emergency services scrape up the remains of some ' have a go' boy racer who fancies himself as the next Hamilton or dare i say it Maldonardo!!!!!

Building a stand alone circuit is far better as it does not impact on the surounding comunities (other than noise) yet still brings 'trade' to the local area - hotels, resturaunts, pubs etc. 

The arguement about the proposed road closure motorsport - its a nice idea and in theory would allow Isle of Man style races, but might it also see the demise of 'Road Rallying'?  The MSA are not the biggest fans of road rallying anyway - is this the first step to getting rid?

#5 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

I would love to see a M25 road race

once a year - on a sunday

races staggered 1 hour intervals  & maybe a last night race

keep clockwise in use for normal traffic

would it be the biggest in the world   -  117 mi (188 km)  ?

I suspect you would need a large police presence after the event - but its the same with any racing

#6 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

I suspect you would need a large police presence after the event - but its the same with any racing

The Coventry inner ring road used to be used as an oval (unofficially of course) until they installed speed cameras. They started and finished at the only roundabout.

#7 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

I'm all for road racing!  I consider myself very lucky that we have it over here.

Yes it is a bit of an inconvenience from time to time but what it brings to the Island in benefits and spectacle far out way the disadvantages.

If you buy a house on the TT course/Southern 100 Course, well you kinda know what your getting yourself into!  Although if you brought road racing to a new area and you weren't a motorsport fan then yes I could see the inconvenience, but for how long?  Several hours a day over several days.

The same goes with the danger element of this type of racing, no one forces participants to enter!  Just look at F1.  A total over reaction and sanitising of circuits after Senna's death.  I'm not saying that what happened wasn't tragic.  The car's were made more unsafe by the rule changes that came in that year, the last death in F1 before this being in 82.  Today the car's are a-lot safer yet we have tarmac run-off area's bigger than the track, boring circuits and spectators that sit half a mile away from the track!

I know not everyone will agree with the above, my perspective being slightly skewed from living over here, but one thing I can say, we have some of the most spectacular motorsport in the world literally right on your own doorstep!

#8 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

i would come down to london just for that :D

#9 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Does that not just sound super boring? I mean... the M25 is hardly a challenging road, its a circle... It would be like watching drag racing but far more boring as theres a lower average speed and less funny cars

#10 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Does that not just sound super boring? I mean... the M25 is hardly a challenging road, its a circle... It would be like watching drag racing but far more boring as theres a lower average speed and less funny cars

the speeds you could get on the M25 - it wouldn't be boring , and at speed it would be challenging - esp at night

you probably just see it as a normal road at 70 - at 170 its a whole different world

anyone know what the 'Un-official' record is for a lap?

Edit ...

just looked it up - 52 mins in the 80's - bet it's been done quicker

this is not an invitation to be faster in a mini - or drive un-safely on it

Edited by sledgehammer, 11 April 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

I still think it would be a bland spectator sport, even if it feels totally badass whilest driving it. If you have ever taken onboard footage from some driving and viewed that back, it usually looks reet boring. Imagin just standing on a bridge of the m25 as a few cars zip by and you wont see them again for another 50 mins or so

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,042 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

In Wales a fantastic circuit would be on the Epynt Ranges.

It could be around 10 miles per lap. It has been done as a multi-lap special stage on National rallies. Fairly narrow with lots of blind crests and sudden bends!

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Nürburgring is not a road circuit it's a purpose built race track. Nobody would open a new place like that today, especially not in Britain, far too many people die on the 'ring. Yes it's true that nobody forces anyone to participate but equally people who have no history of racing, have never been involved, and turn up at the track in a regular car or on a bike have absolutely no concept of the dangers. And generally even less concept of how to drive. My opinion on this was formed largely from being at the 'ring early one morning when not many people were around and seeing a couple entering the track on bikes. One of them was clearly uncomfortable to be there, sitting on a bike that was too tall for her, and didn't seem too keen but the guy she was with was having a great time. I went back to the campsite and didn't think too much of it. A little while later one of the guys in our party found this woman in a ditch by the track and she left by helicopter, she'd been there a while and nobody had seen her. Bikes vanish in ditches, it was amazing that he saw a handlebar sticking up through his mirror and stopped to look. Don't know how she did but she was messed up. I'll always remember how the pair of them looked at the start. She was clearly just trying to enjoy her day with her boyfriend or whatever, and we've all done that kind of thing. But I doubt she had any real idea of the risk she was taking.

#14 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

I think it would be better to describe the Nurburgring as a purpose built test circuit which is also used as a race track Dan.  It is also a public road and normal road rules apply when the circuit is not closed to the public.

As for not understanding the dangers, hard to imagine since it has a world-wide reputation.  It isn't called 'The Green Hell' for nothing!  And because of this it has first class medivac systems in place.  Not saying it's safe, but if you are going to have a serious accident then there are worse places.  Also, when you are driving somewhere near your personal limit, it does concentrate the mind to know that if you bend the Armco, you will be required to pay for it.

But the point I was trying to make is that another UK race circuit will struggle to pay its way whereas something like a public 'Ring' would be a year long earner for the area.  Incidentally, this is also the case in Germany where the F1 circuit is bankrupt but the road ring is the big local earner.

Bob

#15 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

I still think it would be a bland spectator sport, even if it feels totally badass whilest driving it. If you have ever taken onboard footage from some driving and viewed that back, it usually looks reet boring. Imagin just standing on a bridge of the m25 as a few cars zip by and you wont see them again for another 50 mins or so

stood on a bridge would be boring & probably cold , but easier to get to than most circuits

on TV would def be worth a watch , most super cars would be close to their limit 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users