173 replies to this topic

#61 miniaaron1985

miniaaron1985

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Nice build and just a stones throw from where I live :) can't wait to see it finished just a question who's done all the bodywork (welding) need a front end on mine :( but can't find a decent price to have it welded :((

Keep up the good work :)

#62 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hello Aaron, The welding was a combination of both me and another forum member "Shifty".

I myself had never welded in a panel before but I had a go at the wings and A panels and was quite pleased with the results, Although I did have Shifty re do one of the A panels for me as we wasn't 100% happy with it,

There's a member within the traders section who may be able to help you out "Cradleyheathen" His welding skills are fantastic and he has many happy customers within the forum.

Best of luck with your Mini mate, I hoe you manage to get it sorted ;-)

#63 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Its been a while since I updated and so just a quick one..

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion it wont be ready for IMM,

Its had to have a complete brake overhaul with an all new braking system, A new master cylinder, limiter valve, all brake lines and hoses, pressure regulator, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hand brake cables etc, The lot has had to be changed even though what was on there looked quite new the parts must of been put on new quite some years ago, The clutch system was just as bed, again even thou the clutch master cylinder looked quite new it too was shot and had to be replaced and so a complete clutch overhaul was needed as well as a suspension overhaul, The van had new standard dampers on, even these turned out to be unusable, This was suppose to of been a budget build lol, How that idea has gone out of the window.. 

At least I know it has been done properly and will last for a good number of years,

Im also running behind myself due to unforeseen circumstances and the last thing I want to do is start rushing into things to get it finished,

This way I can take my time making sure its as near perfect as can be ;-)

Oh on a plus side its now at the paint shop, No soon as the ford pop has been done the van will start to see some paint..

Attached File  van 20.jpg   38.07K   15 downloads

Click on the images for larger picture`s ;-)

Edited by leeuk, 04 October 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#64 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Better to do these things now than have to pull it all apart again matey.

#65 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Its been a month since my last update (sorry guys) but i have tried to update my thread on 2 separate occasions but for some reason after writing everything out and then when I've come to add some pictures my laptop has crashed and sent me back to the TMF home screen so this time I`ll add the pictures after writing this lol...

Things have defiantly took a turn for the better !!

At the moment the van is stripped down to just a bare shell, totally stripped back to nothing !!

The upside of the van has been prepped ready for paint including both of its rear and front doors also its bonnet,

I've been awaiting the arrival of a spit so as I can take the next step by cleaning and painting up the underside of the van and then I can fit the petrol tank and run its new brake and petrol lines.

The rear subframe has been fully stripped too, cleaned up and prepped ready for some paint, I`ll be doing the front subframe, suspension and the engine next week, The radius arms have been reconditioned and painted and a pair of new built up backplates have been added.

All of its small bits and pieces from around the van have been keeping me busy for the past week, I've been busy cleaning and prepping allsorts ready for paint such as its door catches and hinges, its window wiper motor, radiator, horn, engine steady's and brackets, switch panel, steering rack etc....

I'm hoping all being well to be fitting it back up within 2- 3wks, the spit should be ready for next week so fingers crossed its plain sailing ;-)

#66 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

After taking away the engine I was able to clean and prep the engine bay, 2 coats of Bilt Hammond Hydrate 80 was used to keep those rusty pinholes at bay, In fact I've gone a bit mad and used the Hydrate 80 where ever I can treating everything, I've nearly used a litre and a half of the stuff lol ;-)

1st coat

Attached File  van 31.JPG   60.99K   10 downloads

2nd coat

Attached File  van 32.JPG   55.15K   7 downloads

Attached File  van 28.JPG   48.5K   7 downloads

Edited by leeuk, 04 October 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#67 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

Looking good then, watching this one, do you have a finish time in mind?

#68 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Looking good then, watching this one, do you have a finish time in mind?

Cheers mate ;-)

No finish date to be honest but as soon as its painted its just a matter of building it back up and then putting it thru an MOT, I have everything needed for the rebuild including many new parts so it shouldn't take too long really, I reckon this time next month all being well I shall be driving it about ;-) 

#69 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Wow sounds good its better to have a finish date, but would be great to be driving it soon, going to be a really nice look van I think. Keep the pics coming...

#70 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Looks like you'll be driving around before me then! 

Looking good though fella.

#71 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Update time ;-)

As you can see from the pictures I decided to save time and hassle and go ahead without the use of a spit so the van was tipped up onto some tyres instead ;-)

Since then I have been able to concentrate on the underside, The first job was quite a messy one and one I wasn't looking forward too as i had to clean all the muck and grease away.

Attached File  underside 1.JPG   60.62K   10 downloads

I was then able to start stripping it back to its bare steel in preparation for some Hydrate 80

Attached File  van 33.JPG   71.57K   9 downloads

Attached File  van 34.JPG   74.01K   5 downloads

Attached File  van 35.JPG   62.5K   13 downloads

2 coats of Hydrate 80 and 24hrs later

Attached File  van 37.JPG   65.6K   12 downloads

I then was able to apply the seam sealant

Attached File  van 38.JPG   51.81K   20 downloads

Next on the list to do is to apply some of Bilt Hamber`s Electrox Zinc rich primer in preparation for some either U-pol`s Raptor or Gravitex, I've not quite made my mind up on the one that im going with yet although I have already purchased the Raptor  ;-)

Edited by leeuk, 04 October 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#72 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

Well on the way lee.

#73 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:10 AM

Just a couple more pictures taken yeserday.

Applying the Electrux -

Attached File  van 40.jpg   25.64K   32 downloads

And 2 coats later

Attached File  van 39.JPG   53.55K   22 downloads

Ive still yet to do inside the wings and behind the front panel as these need a little more work before aplication but as you can see much better with a coat of colour even if it is a dull grey (for now that is) ;-)

Edited by leeuk, 04 October 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#74 leeuk

leeuk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

The van now has its first lot of colour as the underside has now been painted,

Firstly it was treated with Bilt Hammond`s Active 8 all over the underside then it was covered with 3 coats of Bilt Hammonds Electrox Zink primer followed by 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of stonechip, Another 2 coats of primer before 3 good coats of topcoat I should hope it keeps good for many years to come. Ive still yet to cover the underside and fill the cavities with another one of Bilt Hammonds products "Dynax".

The colour is a little deceiving in the pictures as they make it look quite multi-coloured lol

Attached File  van 44.jpg   24.71K   13 downloads

Attached File  van 46.jpg   28.4K   14 downloads

Attached File  van 45.jpg   19.68K   11 downloads

The rear subframe and tank have come out quite nice.

Attached File  van 43.JPG   43.83K   12 downloads

This bit has been quite a messy job to do but it is now fully cleaned and degreased and I have since gone over the whole of the engine with a wire wheel attachment in preparation for paint,

Attached File  van engine 6.JPG   85K   16 downloads

I a, still in the process of cleaning up the front subframe but it wont be long now before it and its components are also in paint ;-)

Edited by leeuk, 04 October 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#75 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

A bloody love et!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users