13 replies to this topic

#1 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

the little orange light (which i believe to be the oil pressure light) on my dash keeps coming on in the mini im rebuilding. it comes on when it idles but if i rev it, it turns off. i have just changed the oil and oil filter. what can it be??

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

yes it is the oil pressure light. but i have no idea of the problem. did a search and alot of stuff about hot idle but if it comes on from cold,,,,,,,then i have no idea.

just have to wait for someone smarter to come along :(

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:24 AM

oil pressure light comming on is not good news, but could be a number of things.. the first thing to do is to change the oil pressure switch for another (if you have one handy) as they can fail. If that does not cure it, then try and oil and filter change, also take the oil pressure release valve out and clean it... If that does not fix it then I'm afraid it's an engine out job, and rebuild.

#4 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

There are many postings on this subject but no easy answer, I'm afraid. Just search "oil pressure light". You could start here. Good luck :(

#5 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

The one thing to learn from the similar posts on here is when the orange light comes on then STOP driving !!!

If you continue to use your mini, even if the light ONLY comes on at idle, then you are certainly going to do permanent damage to your engine !

#6 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

right just found out the wire was in the wrong place (by comparing to my other mini) however now the ittle orange light wont come on at all. i have connected the brown/white wire to the oil pressure reader and i know the orange light works but still no light. should i now assume the oil pressure reader is broken??

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

Yup.

What was it connected to?

#8 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

this will sound silly but the coil!!??

#9 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:55 PM

Confused.....if its was coming on at idle and then going off when you rev it then it must have been connected the right place !!!

Turn the ignition on and then earth the wire against the engine block and the light should come on. If not then its either not the right wire or you have got a wiring problem.

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

No, because if it was on the earth side of the coil it would be getting an intermittant contact due to the action of the dizzy. This would have the same effect as a wave chopping dimmer does on AC and make the lamp output vary with engine speed. Essentially the lamp was working as a tachometer.

Would drive the ignition crazy though.

#11 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

dan you are but correct. i shall take the oil pressuer reader out of my other mini and see if it works then. x

#12 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

right i now know the oil pressure reader is broken. so where do get a new one and what is the proper name for it?

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

It's just called an oil pressure warning switch AFAIK. You can get them at just about any motor factors, even Halfords should still carry that for a Mini. Ask at the parts desk, they're only a few quid.

#14 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:48 PM

many thanks dan i had a feeling you might know. lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users