25 replies to this topic

#16 Yams

Yams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

Got spring compressors yes, tracking gear no, just going to measure it up like i did with the mini, they just thread on. Can always get them to do the tracking before re-test.

you don't need a spring compressor.

Not if i unbolt both shock absorbers no, but will need them to do a single side. Only have 1 jack at the moment.

#17 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

The existing mot certificate covers you until it expires, regardless of if you get it tested and it fails, before the expiry. That's why you can put it in for a test a month earlier.

#18 Rog46

Rog46

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Regardless of the legality, if involved in an accident, your insurance company would take a very dim view of it.
Also you now know it is not in a roadworthy condition. You might get away with not having an MOT but not with driving a car in an unroadworthy condition , a quite separate offence!

#19 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

The existing mot certificate covers you until it expires, regardless of if you get it tested and it fails, before the expiry. That's why you can put it in for a test a month earlier.

That is not the case at all! It is illegal to drive a car which is unroadworthy - if it has failed an MOT then there is evidence that you know it to be in an unroadworthy condition. Whether or not it has a month to run is irrelevant.

#20 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

But the vehicle still has a valid mot certificate. An mot test is to make sure the vehicle meets the minimum standards, it is not a check to make sure the vehicle is in roadworthy condition.

#21 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Got spring compressors yes, tracking gear no, just going to measure it up like i did with the mini, they just thread on. Can always get them to do the tracking before re-test.

Not if i unbolt both shock absorbers no, but will need them to do a single side. Only have 1 jack at the moment.

you can do just one side at a time, jack it up, unbolt the shock and then pull the spring out.

#22 Yams

Yams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

you can do just one side at a time, jack it up, unbolt the shock and then pull the spring out.

Yeah thats how i ended up doing it. Just had my brother pull the drum down slightly to get the new one in.

They wanted £170 for that, took me about 15 minutes...

Update on the situation

All of the work has now been sorted, so new track rod end, roll bar bushes and rear springs. (What it failed on)

However

They can't re-test it till Tuesday.

In this aspect the car is roadworthy, as it only failed on these points, and will pass because they have now been fixed.

Now where do i stand in regards to driving a car which is apparently unfit for the road when it is actually fit for the road now?

Edited by Yams, 18 April 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#23 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I would think you are ok, it has been checked and they were the only issues and have been sorted.

#24 Yams

Yams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

I would think you are ok, it has been checked and they were the only issues and have been sorted.

I fixed the issues but no one 'official' can look at it till Tuesday since it has to be re-tested where it failed.

#25 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

I fixed the issues but no one 'official' can look at it till Tuesday since it has to be re-tested where it failed.
is the 'old' mot still valid? The issue is driving with an unroadworthy car, the only two things that made it unroadworthy have been sorted so I would think you would be ok. It is only 'think' though. I have never managed to determine whether this is true or not but my brother in law (inspector in Derbyshire police) says that you don't need an MOT to be road legal but the vehicle must be roadworthy at all times, the MOT just allows you a year where you can legally claim ignorance of problems for a better way of putting it. So if a car is always roadworthy, technically the MOT is only need for getting tax. I have never been able to get this confirmed one way or another and you can bet that if you tried that argument in a court of law they would find SOMETHING wrong with the car. But your situation seems clear cut as long as the old MOT hasn't expired.

#26 Yams

Yams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

The old MOT still hasn't expired, so hopefully It will be fine to drive it again until the retest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users