#16 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

I would be interested in the Timken measurements, the stack and the individual components if possible, if you could post them up or pm them to me I'd appreciate it. I've got another Timken here as well as an after market bearing assembly and it would be good to compare.

It could save peps a lot of grief if a quick measurement before assembly could be carried out.

So I guess what your saying bikewiz is that there was a difference of a few thou between the KAD supplied spacer and the Timken spacer, do you still have these measurements as well?

I never measured the KAD supplied set. I measured the spacers from the new set and the set that was originally in the car (Timken also) However it appears from some of the comments that they would probably be different as what I should have measured was the bearings as a set (if I thought about it more I should have known that as the Timkens have warnings on the box to use them as set). The advice from Colin at KAD was they've recently measured a number of Timken sets that were out of spec and he suggested using the supplied bearings as they know the spec is correct. I then assumed the KAD supplied bearings which were still new in the box would correct the problem so I never bothered measuring them. 

When I get a chance I'll measure the Timken stack and spacer for you

#17 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Do you know what the stack dimension is?

Not personally no, but then I've never had to measure one because I've never had a problem with them. The bearing set is a part in itself and the manufacturer knows the dimensions so the end user doesn't have to. If KAD are finding problems with genuine Timken bearings it's a bad sign. But if there was a similar problem with the set of their own that they originally sent you they are hardly faultless themselves! I'd definitely be sending those Timken's back if I were you, although if you had to buy them from over here I'm not sure if it would be worth it if you couldn't get the postage covered.

#18 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Do you know what the stack dimension is?

Not personally no, but then I've never had to measure one because I've never had a problem with them. The bearing set is a part in itself and the manufacturer knows the dimensions so the end user doesn't have to. If KAD are finding problems with genuine Timken bearings it's a bad sign. But if there was a similar problem with the set of their own that they originally sent you they are hardly faultless themselves! I'd definitely be sending those Timken's back if I were you, although if you had to buy them from over here I'm not sure if it would be worth it if you couldn't get the postage covered.

Dan the KAD supplied bearings were fine, I bought the Timkens from the UK and made the erroneous assumption they would be "better" than the KAD supplied part, it's unlikely I'll bother sending them back. I plan to measure the KAD bearings when they need servicing and have the spacer on the Timkens surface ground to match the stack of the KAD supplied bearings then I'll have a set of good replacements. It hopefully won't be anytime too soon.....

Edited by bikewiz, 27 April 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#19 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

I made the same assumption; that Timken would be better, but I have also had some problems and that's why I'm asking for your measurements. peps are paying a lot of money here for parts that, on the face of it, appear to be questionable 

#20 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

All sounds very odd to me. In that case there would be loads of posts complaining that timken bearing don't fit mini hubs, and there don't seem to be.

I'd stick OEM and KAD supplied bearings on a surface plate and see where we are (in saying that, no need, they have to be different sizes).

My best guess is that the hub is machined right on the top or bottom limit of tolerance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users