5 replies to this topic

#1 kev fletcher

kev fletcher

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

You might remember my last post where my 1996 spi mini had a charge problem that involved changing 3 alternators and 2 new batteries this was eventually tracked down to a fuse box that let voltage out but not amps.

Well my latest problem was a weeping sump plug, it turns out the threads were goosed in the sump so lifted the engine out and took it to Jon speed minis who fitted a insert and a brilliant. Job they did and only charged £25 anyway while refitting the engine i noticed the brake line was weeping slightly so replaced that and the soggy dampers at the front.

So whats the problem now, well when the engine went back in i started up and it went straight to about 4000 revs and ran lumpy i have checked the throttle cable and its not catching all hoses es have been put back so any ideas as to why the engine is reving so high  also i have seen post about fault, code reading on a spi where would you plug your code reader in ? 

Thanks in advance 

Kev fletcher 

#2 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

my first thoughts would be an air leak, as you've had the manifolds etc. off when you removed the engine. So check for leaks would be the first thing

#3 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

What rob says about the leak...only other thing is double check ur butterfly isn't catching...that was a problem with me.....welcome to my world mate, I have had over two years of problems with my mini and they are still racking up...your not alone, believe me

#4 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

On you last point OP the code reader plugs into a 3 pin white AMP connector located on the bulkhead area around the brake servo. However this presumes you have a suitable code reader to use - generic no good for this application.

FS

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

On you last point OP the code reader plugs into a 3 pin white AMP connector located on the bulkhead area around the brake servo. However this presumes you have a suitable code reader to use - generic no good for this application.

FS

Agreed here. When I had similar problems with my SPI none of my local garages could get my car to communicate with their kit. A sykes pickavant has sorted this. My problem was much more complex than yours and ended up being stepper motor drivers within the ECU, I would go with the vac leaks the guys above suggest.

I'm sure you've seen it but Sprockets thread here is very good

http://www.theminifo...oint-injection/

#6 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

FS

Agreed here. When I had similar problems with my SPI none of my local garages could get my car to communicate with their kit. A sykes pickavant has sorted this. My problem was much more complex than yours and ended up being stepper motor drivers within the ECU, I would go with the vac leaks the guys above suggest.

I'm sure you've seen it but Sprockets thread here is very good

http://www.theminifo...oint-injection/

well worth reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users