16 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

I've just got in from visitng pikey7 in banbury, Left at about 9.00pm, hour’s drive should have been in by 10.00pm. More like 11.30pm :'(

Quite happily moving along (55 - 60ish mph) when with less than 10 MILES from home my clutch decides now would be a very good time to go bang. :'(

Although can I say a BIG thanks to the very, very kind girl out with her boy friend in a green cooper, who turned round and came back to see if I was alright and stayed with me till help arrived.

Not sure what to do as the tax runs out at the end of the month, and a few weeks after that the mot is due,
Can’t find any reason why it would fail (apart from the clutch has gone)

Just need a ball park figure for how much it's going to dent the wallet, would prefer to do it my self with possibly some assistance,
As I have done a few clutches before but not on a mini before,
It’s a bog standard 998, 1984 mini with a verto clutch.

Also got a really important job interview first thing tomorrow :'( , which I now have no way of getting there,
Might just give it a miss. :'(

:'( :'( :'( :'(
Karl

#2 english-bully

english-bully

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Local Club: " CREWE'S MISSILES "

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

pretty funny for it just to go bang ? whats the trouble your having with it ? let me now might beale to help ya out..

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

pretty funny for it just to go bang ? whats the trouble your having with it ? let me now might beale to help ya out..

I’m not finding it that funny, when I say just went bang...

All I got when I had to stop at some traffic lights is a horrid screeching while pulling away, which went and then 5 miles down the road doing 50 in 4th it came back (this time much worse) speed just slowed right down and just didn't seam as if it was going to any feather.

Been really good for the past few weeks up till then…

Plus it's not a if I wheel spin it all the time, or do anything to shorten the life of it, although it is the original clutch and has done 50k.

Plus I think I might have damaged the front sub frame / valance while towing it home.
Won’t know till daylight so I can see the extent of the damage.

#4 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

You weren't raggin it again Karl!? :lol:

That sucks bigstylie. I have one in the garage you are most welcome to I can probably even drop it over Saturday. AFAIK its got some mileage left in it. Now where did I put that puller........?

#5 english-bully

english-bully

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Local Club: " CREWE'S MISSILES "

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

sounds like the bearing tried to get inside the plate the TW*T.....

there not a bad job to do.just remeber to make sure you get the A at top dead when tring to remove the fly wheel or the c clips that hold the drop gears on drop down and make it a Bast**d job.....

good luck are kid !!! if i was closer to you id get you it sorted just feed and water me lol !!!

might see ya shortly at one of the show's

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

I have one in the garage you are most welcome to

Now why does that strangely remind me of something :lol:

#7 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:02 PM

lol! Cheeky monkey! :lol:

Well, the offers there. I still have the full clutch in the garage. if it's just the bearing, then I have that off the car already, I just couldn't find the puller last time I looked (now THAT reminds me of something! :) ) so the plate is still on the motor!

#8 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:56 AM

A complete clutch kit is only about £40. Buy new then you know it's new and should be ok. And it will have all the parts you need with hit. You will need to fit a new bearing with the clutch plate, not just the plate itself.

#9 Mini Mad James

Mini Mad James

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Perhaps you should look into a "heavy duty" verto clutch if your ragging it :lol:

#10 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

As its a verto then you don't need to remove the flywheel to replace the clutch !!

Easy peasy job !!! :lol:

#11 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

When i changed the clutch in my pickup i used a puller, i got to the point i was deforming the bolts that come with the puller.... not good, then i go the old heat gun out and it popped out a beauty.... oh belting it with the handle of my lump hammer helped.... just a few love taps mind. Good luck and remember you have to pull the right faces, whist uttering the sacred words like :lol: , :) and you little :P to get it to come off

Its not that hard

Yeti

#12 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

Perhaps you should look into a "heavy duty" verto clutch if your ragging it

I think pikey is referring to the time when I tried to see what it would do top speed wise, :lol:
And got it up to 90-95 ish, which is, when I also found out that the rev counter stopped working completely at 3k. LOl

I’m going to leave it for a day or two so I can rearrange all my plans,

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

Don't use a second hand, part used Verto clutch plate. Buy a new one, the self adjusting nature of the Verto makes it impossible to set up a second hand one properly once it's been stripped.

#14 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

i recon the top hat may have exploded seen a couple of them go bang

dave

#15 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Don't use a second hand, part used Verto clutch plate. Buy a new one, the self adjusting nature of the Verto makes it impossible to set up a second hand one properly once it's been stripped.

cheers for that, just saved me a lot of messing around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users