#1 lager.and.pretzels

lager.and.pretzels

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

All,

I suppose this has come up many times but I've yet to find a topic addressing it:

How to convert the front axle setup (with CV through the swivel hub) to a straight spindle - no drive.

I suppose you could simply dismantle down to the outer ring, and maybe modify it from there, but I'm going to wait on dismantling mine to see what others are doing.

Are people using a straight spindle stub axle kit, of sorts?

Thanks!

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

On the mini the hub nut holds the disc and drive flange in place

#3 lager.and.pretzels

lager.and.pretzels

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yes, thus removal of the cv end will require adding a spindle to the assembly to sandwich it all together again.

#4 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Why remove the CV? Just remove the driveshaft and knock the cage and balls out of the CV then assemble the hub as normal.

On mine it's been taken one step further and the "cup" of the CV has been removed (by a gorilla with a hacksaw from the looks of it). I'm going to stick them in the lathe and face them off so they look pretty but they worked fine as is. The only real advantage of removing the cup is weight saving it's unsprung weight though so best to minimise it if possible.

I have a set for a Ford Sierra (XR4Ti in your part of the world) where a 4x4 has been converted to RWD. The front CV's actually have a plate welded over the rear of the CV where the front driveshaft would normally go into the CV. I've no idea if the balls and cage are still in there but it's beautifully TIG welded so I'm guessing not since some care and effort obviously went into it.

Iain

#5 lager.and.pretzels

lager.and.pretzels

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Iain,

Thats what I figured some might do - thanks for the mention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users