I'm liking the look of this  

#17 james.c94

james.c94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

That downpipe is a work of art! The manifold, however, isn't. Looks like its had no thought to exhaust pulse or scavenge where they all meet.

It still looks a much better design than the mirage manifold though, looks as if more attention has been paid towards equal runner length than collector flow. There isn't exactly lots of room down behind the back of the block so it's never going to be perfect

#18 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

That downpipe is a work of art! The manifold, however, isn't. Looks like its had no thought to exhaust pulse or scavenge where they all meet.

It still looks a much better design than the mirage manifold though, looks as if more attention has been paid towards equal runner length than collector flow. There isn't exactly lots of room down behind the back of the block so it's never going to be perfect

There is still plenty of room for improvement there which is why I'm hoping that the finalised design is different.

#19 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:29 AM

I've got to be honest, this kits looks awful! Over complicate the downpipe because you've chosen the turbo first, and the manifold is awful, equal runner lengths aren't as much an issue on turbo cars so that doesn't bother me, but that looks like it's been thrown together as an after thought!

The developers need to look at the manifolds and downpipes that matty builds, he's overcome the log type that mirage uses and made a free flowing one, which also allows the use of a much larger turbo that this, and without bulkhead mods, his downpipe is also much simpler.

Fair play for trying something different, but this won't be anywhere near my list of potential turbo kits.

#20 BritishRacingGreen

BritishRacingGreen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

I agree with Benjy, I don't see why the turbo is that way around, it complicates the downpipe and makes the manifold a funny shape. That downpipe looks like it will be a pain to fit, and I cant imagine trying to get my hand in there to fit the oil drain. It's all well and good off the car, but it is going in a mini. not exactly rolling in space.

Just constructive criticism, Keep at it!

#21 james.c94

james.c94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

Collector length is important on a turbo manifold, as is the collector and diameter of the tubing used. I do agree this does look a bit pants though, I'm guessing the actual kits won't come with those pie cut bends and each runner will be formed to the flange a little better?

I'm not in any way mocking the matty/mirage style manifold but it has been designed in that way purely so it can be used without cutting the bulkhead. For maximum efficiency it is less than ideal. It does however work, almost anything will. Turbo'ed cars back in the 80's would use right angled bends in tubing and they still gave decent numbers. A far better manifold would however produce those same numbers using a smaller amount of boost.

I lurk (don't actually own a turbo'ed mini) on the turbominis forum and Paul S has the best manifold design you will find. Side mount, equal and perfect collector lengths and the correct size tubing. If someone wants to make a new 'out of the box' kit this is probably the route to follow. The matty manifold is probably the best you'll get if you want to turbo without too much hassle but it is always good to see someone trying to improve on it.

Also, remember this company is from the states, it'll probably cost a fortune to get a manifold and downpipe out to someone there 

Edited by james.c94, 04 March 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#22 Air2air

Air2air

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Owners of San Francisco

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

Also, remember this company is from the states, it'll probably cost a fortune to get a manifold and downpipe out to someone there

For example, here in the colonies the only decent seats - Cobras, Corbeaus - cost just about as much in shipping from the UK as they do for you lot to collect. Then you have our lovely import duties...

#23 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Mattys manifolds look much better IMO

#24 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Looks good, clearly has some advantages and disadvantages to others on the market. But I believe that as long as it fits, and it comes with all of the gubbins required it will be very welcome. 

Even the mirage kit can be a pain, trying to find all the right water and oil adaptors for the right turbo etc, it would be much nicer to have everything available in one kit. 

And I think it will be worth waiting for some power/ torque figures before people start slating/ praising the design, but overall I think it looks good and having another manifold/kit on the market can only be a good thing! 

#25 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Where can I find the mirage kit, cant find the kit any where? chaars

Looks good, clearly has some advantages and disadvantages to others on the market. But I believe that as long as it fits, and it comes with all of the gubbins required it will be very welcome. 

Even the mirage kit can be a pain, trying to find all the right water and oil adaptors for the right turbo etc, it would be much nicer to have everything available in one kit. 

And I think it will be worth waiting for some power/ torque figures before people start slating/ praising the design, but overall I think it looks good and having another manifold/kit on the market can only be a good thing! 

#26 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure if Mirage is still making them or not, thier website is offline but I heard that they might still be making them. 
Another option is Matty on the Turbo Minis Forum who makes similar manifolds, and can do higher flowing ones as well.

#27 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

That turbo looks like the GT1544, good for a 998 but not so good on a 1275. I'm building a manifold for a friend of mine that's using that turbo and done one before also for a mild 998. In all honesty the downpipe does look well made, and of a decent design, and the welding is a hell of a lot better than the likes of the maniflow items!

The ones I make are simply to get around the packaging issues of no space behind the engine without cutting the bulkhead, and proven over 200bhp. I have a design in mind that may work, to have equal runners with a proper merge collector, and fit in without bulkhead mods, but I'm not sure if there will be much demand for it, due to production costs, so it'll be more for those that want every little HP out of there engine.

I'll hopefully have the sidemount set up finished too. I'm just waiting to see if my N/A mighty 7 exhaust design works, then I can apply the same principles to my turbo design.

#28 mad mk1

mad mk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis.co.uk

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

The ones I make are simply to get around the packaging issues of no space behind the engine without cutting the bulkhead, and proven over 200bhp..

I can back Matty up on this one. :-) his are a nice simple setup with a down pipe.

#29 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:06 AM

Any more information on this Matty? Just looked on your website and everything looks super high quality.

The jet motors kit looks very enticing, well packaged with no additional modifications? Yes please!

#30 partsguypaule

partsguypaule

Starting My Mini Up

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:30 PM

Here we are a few years later, but I just purchased one of the Jet Motors turbo kits, and had Jeremy install it for me. It's convenient that I only live a couple hours from his shop. I've included a pic of what the turbo kit looks like installed. I highly recommend the kit, it did wonders for my little 1275 A+.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users