#1 barryc

barryc

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,

I don't post often but visit the site a lot. I thought I would ask for some help as I am a bit stuck at the moment.

I am installing a new autosparks wiring loom in my standard 88 mayfair. Everything is wired up and I labelled most of the wires before installation, however I have an elusive "spare" wire that I am worried about.

It's white with a black trace and is located near the alternator and temp sensor on the front of the block. When I laid it out on the floor before installation I thought it would go to the -ve side of the coil (there is already one wire of the same colouring plus a connection to the distributor on the -ve side of the coil), however now I am not so sure as it is located quite some distance from the coil. All sounds very amatuerish on my part but I am pretty stuck for ideas!

many thanks
Barry

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

There are 2 white/black wires on the -ve of the coil. one (as you say) goes to the points, the other is the signal for a revcounter, the other end should be in the dashboard.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

It does sound like the tacho trigger from the description but since you say it is some distance from the coil I'm wondering whether you have got some of the ignition wires mixed up. There should be two of them exiting the loom together by the coil, these are the tacho trigger and the dissy feed and both connect to the coil negative. The other white/black is the other end of the dissy feed and should exit a few inches further along the loom, closer to the dissy. Use a meter to test continuity to determine whether the lead you have on the dissy terminal is actually the other end of the wire you have fitted to the coil negative, if it isn't then you probably have the two switched around. The car won't run like that.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:26 AM

The genuine (not sure about autosparks) looms which are for ballast ignition had a spare wire which is the 12v feed for a non ballast ignition.. but that obviously exits near the coil...

White with black trace would suggest that's the line for the dizzy.. f which the other end is connected to the -ve side of the coil.

ohh. Dan said that... spose I shoudl read first..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users