6 replies to this topic

#1 cmaskell

cmaskell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

Having lasted 15 years since the last re-furbishment it was time to undertake a full re-build. That was last July and although it took an age to get back from the bodyshop the results are worth it. While I was waiting for the shell to come back I replaced the original cam shaft for a Kent MD266 and Isky hi-grade followers on the engine along with vernier timing set and double cam chain.

Anyway the re-build has now started in earnest and here are latest pictures. It is taking much longer than I had expected as I find new parts that need to be ordered and old parts that need to be be cleaned and refurbished before re-installing. I managed to buy the last 2 brand new OEM air vent to body pieces anywhere in the UK so that I could finish fitting the dash. New dash panels look the business!

1degree negative camber lower arms at the front and swinging arm brackets at the rear have been fitted along with adjustable tie bars and poly bushes all round. The brake system has been fitted and new brake pipes made where necessary. Original brake pipe clips are no longer available but replacements from Merlin Motorsport do the job and look okay. As the brake system was fully drained down I gravity bled the brakes rather than vacuum bleeding which worked great. EBC green stuff pads have been fitted to the 4 pot alloy calipers so stopping should be great.

Anyway the light is starting to appear at the end of the tunnel with the engine due to be fitted next week. I will be refitting the single box RC40 and LCB but plan to heat insulate the manifold for improved gas flow and performance (again Merlin Motorsport to the rescue as mini spares don't stock this anymore).

Once the engine and exhaust are in its onto the interior. I am having a new interior (seats, door cards, and headlining) made by Classiccore in Norwich rather than going the Newton Commercial route and can't wait to see how this turns out.

I will upload photos as I finish each stage of the re-build for those that are interested.

Attached File  image.jpg   76.02K   9 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   62.5K   3 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   65.44K   8 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   66.4K   10 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   61.36K   17 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   63.41K   22 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   72.55K   20 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   66.78K   14 downloads

#2 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Looking great, wish I was at that stage!

#3 cmaskell

cmaskell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

The re-build is taking a little longer than I had hoped but such is life! Here are some of the latest photos from the rebuild:-

Fitting the refurbished brake and clutch master cylinder went well and replacing the split pins with 'R' clips was much easier. Made up new brake lines but had to 'guess' route from master cylinder to 'T' piece as I couldn't get an image of his these should originally look like. Anyway I am quite pleased with the look.

Attached File  image.jpg   72.55K   3 downloads

Decided to insulate my LCB to reduce heat transfer to the carb and reduce noise. Purchased the bits from Merlin Motorsport (2" fibre glass insulation, a pair of lock pliers and some stainless steel wire) and the results look great. Dry fitted the manifold to the engine whilst it was still out of the car and although the downpipe diameter's increased the 'Y' piece went on okay. Engine slid back in beautifully.

Attached File  image.jpg   66.56K   27 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   66.56K   27 downloads

Decided to change over to an electronic fan so I bought a Kenlowe fan kit from Minispares. This fitted really well and I plan to run this as a replacement for the original mechanical fan (I spoke to Kenlowe about this as Minispares recommend using it as well as the original mechanical fan).

Attached File  image.jpg   60.74K   10 downloads

Finally I replaced the fuel pipes and inline filter for the Facet fuel pump and installed it in the boot.

Attached File  image.jpg   44.54K   26 downloads

I believe I have now reached a major milestone as the engine is finally fitted and ready to fire up. The interior is nearing completion and should be collected by the end of this week. I can't wait to see how this has turned out but from the initial pics it's going to be sweet. I will post pics during the re-fitting stage.

#4 cmaskell

cmaskell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

It's been a while since I have posted an update as work has progressed slowly on the rebuild. The whole interior (including new headlining and upholstered steering wheel) was collected from Classicore (thanks Iain) and installed. This fitted beautifully and is really worth the money.
Attached File  image.jpg   63.92K   8 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   40.08K   7 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   41.08K   8 downloads

For the wheels I decided to have my original 6"J Minilites refurbished and painted gloss black along with new plastic arches. I am very pleased with the result and for £25 per corner it was well worth it.
Attached File  image.jpg   40.69K   8 downloads

For tyres I went with Yokohama A008 as these look great and are super sticky
Attached File  image.jpg   69.9K   8 downloads

Here are the latest pictures of the car 99% completed. The only things left are to fix a petrol overflow problem (float valve worn and not shutting properly), fit side decals, get MoT and fine tune on the rolling road. Happy days!

Attached File  image.jpg   69.56K   7 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   22.2K   4 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   70.69K   11 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   80.61K   5 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   58.78K   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   73.11K   12 downloads

I will add the pictures of the finished article as soon as I have finished and given the car a good clean and a polish.

#5 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Looks very nice indeed.

#6 cmaskell

cmaskell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:37 PM

At last I have finished the re-build for now at least. Went through the MOT no problem. Set up the engine this weekend on the rolling road to get the maximum benefit of the new cam. Pleased with the power and torque figures but they recommended ditching the K&N in favour of a standard air filter assembly as this gives better air flow. Will see as I have ordered the parts and will test it out.

Here are the beauty shots, I hope you like them.....
Attached File  image.jpg   92.45K   7 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   59.62K   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   69.03K   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   83.7K   12 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   76.18K   13 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   83.88K   8 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   76.58K   6 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   85.91K   13 downloads

Enjoy.

#7 ibby4585

ibby4585

Speeding Along Now