haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Hello

'88 Mini Mayfair with a 1275 A+ engine 

I find every now and then after starting and warming up for a minute or so I'll set off she'll go down the driveway fine, but then when I start to go up the hill she'll start struggling for 5-8 seconds and then she'll just pop into life and go like normal again? 

After that she drives fine the whole way with no problems, starting on flats is mostly fine as well. She recently had a checkup because her plugs were fouled and she was running rich which was remedied

Am I just not letting her warm up long enough, it is getting colder now with winter coming on.

And tips appreciated 

20140329_154150_zps2e3c859c.jpg

#2 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:22 AM

Nice clean little car :-) 

If I was you I'd pop the car apart and give it a good clean out, sounds like the float level may be a little low. Also possible that the mixture was leaned off just a bit too much.

#3 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

When she behaves she is quite lovely! 

I don't really have the tools to clean the carb, or more so I don't really know how to, but how do I check the float level? 

Sometimes she is fine though if that helps, the other day I had her running for a little longer and she went much better but staying idling for a few minutes annoys the neighbours as she keeps setting off the alarm of their car  :) (Hehe naughty mini)

#4 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:53 AM

Hmmm....I wonder if you've got a bit of fuel starvation when the choke is out? 

I'm guessing this will have an electric fuel pump......with a cold engine, disconnect the fuel line to the carb and pop it into a clear bottle and pop the ignition on, fuel should verily piss out.

With a mech pump the same is true, though you'll need to pull a lead off the coil to stop it firing for safety.

Try that first and then report back.

An SU carb is probably the easiest carb to clean out and you really don't need very much in the way of tools to do it.

Check the fuel rate and report back first :-)

#5 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

Hmmm....I wonder if you've got a bit of fuel starvation when the choke is out? 

I'm guessing this will have an electric fuel pump......with a cold engine, disconnect the fuel line to the carb and pop it into a clear bottle and pop the ignition on, fuel should verily piss out.

With a mech pump the same is true, though you'll need to pull a lead off the coil to stop it firing for safety.

Try that first and then report back.

An SU carb is probably the easiest carb to clean out and you really don't need very much in the way of tools to do it.

Check the fuel rate and report back first :-)

I might have to try this in the weekend when I've got some light to see what I'm doing, thanks for your help will let you know how I get on

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Tools to check the float level
screwdrivers,
pair of pliers (for the pin which pivots the float)

8mm spanner(might be smaller, i cant remember!!)

The above tools will allow you to check the float valve too!

#7 Morry Stu

Morry Stu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

My morry does that when cold...usually takes a good 5mins to warm up properly. Otherwise it coughs and splutters untill it gets a few revs under its belt.

The colder it is the worse it is and the longer it takes to warm up.

I just live with it now.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

It'd be useful to identify which carb you have for starters a HS2 or HS4 will only need a flat blade screwdriver to remove the float lid and investigate a Hif needs to be removed because the lid's on the bottom. It probably is fuelling, possibly a waxstat jet if it's HS pattern, but it's worth checking the ignition over, if only the vac advance pipe. Converting to electronic igmition (if it isn't already) will help regardless.

#9 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

You have squirrels as clients?

#10 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:20 PM   Best Answer

Sounds like mine when I push the choke in too soon.

#11 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

I could be pushing the choke in too soon for this weather, she didn't seem to do this a while ago when it was warmer, I suppose leaving her to warm up a bit longer should help with that too I will try warming her up more to begin with.

I guess my main worry was that I might be causing damage when it happens.

I'll have a looksie this weekend at the mechanicals like you guys suggested. Ignition had a slight check over recently when she didn't run properly and the spark plugs needed replacing 

#12 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

Okay, after letting her warm up a few minutes and hold off from pushing the choke in too soon she seems a lot happier now. Sorry it was such a simple thing. 

#13 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

You have squirrels as clients?

Not me but someone does I think, squirrels walk amongst us as people here in NZ, troo story :D 

#14 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Okay, after letting her warm up a few minutes and hold off from pushing the choke in too soon she seems a lot happier now. Sorry it was such a simple thing.

Don't apologise! The amount of choke needed has been different on many vehicles I have owned.

Citroen Ax used to like just less than full choke, my motorbikes have liked different amounts, and I'm not sure about the mini as its still being built.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users