#1 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

Right, got a dialema I want to try and work out.

I am getting a new engine soon, thanks to GuessWorks :lol:

and well, its a GT based motor, 1330, mild ported head, Kent 286cam, 3.44 final drive.

I intend to use it as a chav burner/weekend/daily motor, and I have choice of either going for a HIF44, or a Weber DCOE 40.

I know I would need to upgrade the fuel pump if using a weber.... and use a regularter.
But I was wondering, what sort of MPG could I expect from a weber (sat on a long 5/6" manifold)?

Not really ragging, just pootling along 30mph, steady speeds?

Now if I used a HIF44, although it would prove having a advantage in town, over the weber, would it be the same if I went out for a spin round the country lanes? and would a mech fuel pump keep up?

I am sure I'll think of more questions later, but if I could get some decent answers from the ones above, it would be most helpful!!

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:49 PM

I'm not too sure of MPG figures with a Weber, but I've heard that because they're fixed jet they tend to be a bit more thirsty...

Also, Vizard reckons the Weber is only a real advantage over the HIF44 right at the top end, and even then only on very highly tuned engines.

If you're just pootling about at low speed and want the occasional thrash then I'd go for the HIF44 and a decent rolling road tune - even better a pair of HS4's would really suit that engine, they made a huge difference to my 1293 (if you find somewhere that can properly tune them, I had to go to Kent).

The mechanical pump would keep up with the HIF44 no problem at all, provided it was in good nick. As for the Weber I don't know, I think you'd need an electric pump, as you say.

#3 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

I've a Delorto 40 on a 6.5" mainfold if you're interested - not after a lot and it's in good nick - Drop me a PM if you're intertested

#4 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

I actully have a a weber here,
but thanks for the offer mate!

Right, I just sold a pair of twin HS4''s DOH!!!!! (Numbnuts) :lol:
But I am fan of Down Draughts, so I guess I'll run it on a HIF44, for now then.

I am booked in at Spam's for a tune up, alothugh John (Guessworks) will be tuning for me as well, I hope to go to Spam's when its all loosened up a bit :D

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

But I am fan of Down Draughts, so I guess I'll run it on a HIF44, for now then.

:errr: :D :lol:

Use a pair of HIF4s if you can find them. They'd be more efficient than the HS4s and very hard to tell apart from the Webber (except in your wallet). They were fitted to some top-line Allegros if you're scrappy diving.

#6 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

Use a pair of HIF4s if you can find them. They'd be more efficient than the HS4s and very hard to tell apart from the Webber (except in your wallet). They were fitted to some top-line Allegros if you're scrappy diving.

Just to clarify, do you have to have a matched pair or can you use two and just buy the linkages ?

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

They don't have to be matched, however you can't just use two random HS4's as the float chambers will be on the same side and just not work...

If you want the twin's to perform properly then you will 95% of the time have to at least fit a rebuild kit, make sure the throttle spindles are bushed correctly. Thats why twins have a bad reputation, the ones bought for £50 on eBay are old and worn, and often make the car run badly as they're out of balance and out of tune.

#8 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

They don't have to be matched, however you can't just use two random HS4's as the float chambers will be on the same side and just not work...

But we are talking about HIF44 so thats not an issue :D

I have a copy of the burlen SU reference catalogue which will show what cars had twin HIF44s fitted i can dig out if you want to know exactly which vehicle to look for at the scrappy.

They were fitted to some top-line Allegros if you're scrappy diving.

Not questioning your knowledge but the above book doesnt have any austin allegros with twin HIF44s, they were HS6's on the 1750 models.

Bit of a mute point anyway if they dont need to be matched, there must be hundreds of them about in scrappies :(

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

Twin 44's or HIF6's are mainly reserved to V8 rovers...

And that would be serious over carburation for the engine...

Runs well on a single 44, and twin HS4's or HIF4's(38's) would improve the torque curve...

Edited by GuessWorks, 20 June 2006 - 12:59 PM.

#10 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

Isn't it true that twin HIF4's hit the bulkhead?

#11 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:09 PM

My mate Geraint (Iceman) has a 40 webber and the main advantage is the "WOW" factor when people look under his hood :(

#12 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

My mate Geraint (Iceman) has a 40 webber and the main advantage is the "WOW" factor when people look under his hood :(

Certainly did that whn I have a lookie :w00t:
I fancy a DownDraught thou :D

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

the above book doesnt have any austin allegros with twin HIF44s,

Funny that, I didn't mention any either for a very good reason. Since you obviously haven't seached for any of this info as it has all been said a few times before, I'll go over it again.

HIF carbs were made originally in an imperial version with the same naming scheme as the earlier SUs as in 2, 4, 6, 8 which refers to how many 1/8s of an inch over 1" the choke diameter measures. Then they were changed to metric sizes and named according to the diameter of the choke in mm.

Metric HIF carbs were never fitted in pairs as they were never made in pairs (this answers your other question, a pair of carbs is a front and a rear carb. The body castings are different for the two and you can't use two the same as the linkages will all be in the wrong places).

This is why I said a pair of HIF4 carbs can be used, these are imperial sized 1 1/2" carbs and were available in pairs. In your book you will see that the 1500 Allegro from 1979 on used 1 1302F and 1 1302R carb, thats a front and a rear. In mine it's printed a bit off center so you can't quite read it but that is what it says. You don't really want a pair of 1.75" carbs but a pair of 1.5s would be lovely and the HIF version will be more efficient and reliable than the HS type.

#14 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

Also Dan, I think (Correct me if need be) the float chambers are more cental, so not so affected by hard cornering?

Any ideas, how much these retail at Dan? or where I can get a fullset up new?

p.s - where the hell do you know all this stuff!!! Your amazing at Mini knowledge!

#15 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:26 AM

HIF's are HIF's whether imperial or Metric, they are the same overall design, yes there are slight variations, but nowt noticable.

http://www.burlen.co...spx?carID=10235

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users