Photo
- - - - -

Wiring Loom Help- Horn (Picture Attached)

Best Answer phil hill , 08 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

The Purple with a black trace is the horn.  If you have a two connector horn then the other connector needs to go to ground, i.e. wire to the car's body.

The straight white wire is for a non-ballast ignition coil, which by the look of your ignition coil i'd say you have a ballasted system therefore the white wire isn't connected to anything.

Phil.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Dear all

I have installed a new wiring loom in my 1983 Mini Mayfair. All connections done- lights working etc. I have connected the horn but not working. Haynes say purple/black wire only but there a two male connectors on the back of the horn. I noticed a white female connector connected to nothing- so I tried connecting this to the horn also- no joy. 

What is the correct connection for the horn?

What is the white wire for? It is a branch that comes from the same main trunk to the alternator and comes out with the black/white wire that goes into the ignition coil.

See pics for details.

Kaz

Attached Files

#2 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:07 PM   Best Answer

The Purple with a black trace is the horn.  If you have a two connector horn then the other connector needs to go to ground, i.e. wire to the car's body.

The straight white wire is for a non-ballast ignition coil, which by the look of your ignition coil i'd say you have a ballasted system therefore the white wire isn't connected to anything.

Phil.

#3 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Phil.

Could the fact that the horn was not earthed/grounded and simply attached to the Purple/black connector only cause the horn to fail.

Kaz

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Fail as in break? No. It just won't work. Having 12v to both sides won't have hurt it either.

#5 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

Fail as in no sound on pushing the stalk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users