Photo
- - - - -

Oil Leak From Cylinder Head?

Best Answer jamesquintin , 10 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

I gave the block/head a good clean-up with 'Gunk' (Amazing stuff!) and let the engine run to help evaporate the water.

Had a good look about whilst it was running and found the culprit! It's the oil pressure gauge T-piece. Looks like its either the pipe going into the nut, or the nut/t-piece joint. Will pop to minispares and replace it tomorrow (its been on there 10 years)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi all,

Is it possible for the cylinder head gasket to leak oil? The whole front of the engine is pretty much covered with a thin layer of oil/muck (even above the spark plugs). I've tried changing the rocker cover gasket, but that's not helped.

It's an '98 MPI if that makes any difference?

Cheers

JQ

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Yep, there are water passages, oil ways and the actual combustion Chambers all of which can leak to each other (in any combination), themselves our out to the atmosphere as you describe, the symptoms of which can then vary wildly.

#3 henri1972

henri1972

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

the best thing to do is have the engine cleaned run the car to see where the leak is

#4 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

If it's around the spark plugs it will probably be the rocker cover gasket, were the surfaces surgically clean when you put the new gasket on?

#5 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I second Gremlin on this one. A lot of care is needed when fitting the rocker gasket. I usually smear a very thin film of Gasket sealant around one side of the gasket and then stick it to the "spotlessly clean and dry rocker cover. Once set, then apply a thin film of grease to the open side of the gasket before fitting the rocker cover carefully back on the head. But before doing this, make sure the cover is not distorted, and always use a new gasket. The grease will allow the cover and gasket to be removed and refitted in an emergency, but in most cases a new gasket is required due to already being crushed once.

#6 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:54 PM   Best Answer

I gave the block/head a good clean-up with 'Gunk' (Amazing stuff!) and let the engine run to help evaporate the water.

Had a good look about whilst it was running and found the culprit! It's the oil pressure gauge T-piece. Looks like its either the pipe going into the nut, or the nut/t-piece joint. Will pop to minispares and replace it tomorrow (its been on there 10 years)

#7 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

I found using a new cork gasket still made oil seep out so used a silicone one, used silicone sealer to bond it to the rocker cover side, works fine, no more oil leak.

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

I just want to point out I am not usually a "head gasket has gone" for every problem like some people on TMF, I was just answering the original question, yes it is possible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users